27. Tips for LDS Bloggers -- How Am I doing?


I decided to start a blog, just over 3 weeks ago.  In our recent Stake Conference, we were encouraged to do anything we could to enhance missionary work, and as my husband and I are what many call “elderly”, (though we don’t FEEL elderly) we are at home a lot.  I don’t get out among various groups of people often.  So - - -

   I really hope that something I write will lift someone’s day, and also help keep family history stories alive! .  That is my “mission statement”! 

I guess what I write would be called an “LDS Blog”!  I have sent notes about my blog to people on my e mail list, and posted each entry on Facebook, and did something which recommended it on Google.  And yet I have had from one to many readers from many places: The toll I think indicates how many different times one of my posts is viewed by someone – Today the count is: The United States, 1444, Sweden, 16, Germany, 17, South Korea, 5, Malasia, 1, The United Arab Emirates, 5, Kenya, 1, Ukraine 1, the Phillippines, 3, and today Poland 1 – all in 3 weeks!  I wonder how they hear about it, and I hope it is interesting enough for people to want to return when they have time, or interest.

   I don’t know who you dear people are, except those who have commented, or personally told me.  And yet I feel like we are all friends, because I feel I am disclosing some of my very personal thoughts.  I hope stories about my life, or those of my parents and ancestors will feel like we are “kindred spirits”.  It will make me very happy if some of you want to “follow” my blog, or e mail me, or comment on something I have written.

Today in the Meridian Magazine, (An LDS magazine on line.  You can have it come free to your e mail by going to – www.ldsmag.com  – and sign up.)  I read a very interesting article called “Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate blog' — the Book of Mormon”  By Trent Toone , Deseret News. Published: Thursday, Dec. 5 2013. If you’d like to read it, you can find it here:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865591819/What-the-Book-of-Mormon-can-teach-us-about-blogging-the-gospel.html

I will just point out some highlights of the analogy of how the Book of Mormon is like the ultimate blog. Some comments below were quotes, but I haven’t tried to include the authors.   -----------------------------------------
  
 Not only did the curious ball guide Lehi's family in the wilderness, but "a new writing, which was plain to be read" appeared on the pointers to give them "understanding concerning the ways of the Lord; and it was written and changed from time to time, according to their faith, diligence and heed (1 Nephi 16:28-29)."  This phenomenon is likened to reading the Book of Mormon.

"As I read the Book of Mormon … passages of scriptures that I have read many times in one light seem to change — and suddenly there is a new meaning to that old and familiar scripture.   I like to think that the Book of Mormon is truly like the Liahona of old.   If we are interested enough to read it again and again, from cover to cover, there are times when a 'new writing' — plain to be read — seems to appear."

The words in the Book of Mormon never change, but our lives change, our circumstances change and our desires change. That makes the Book of Mormon the ultimate blog because you can read it over and over and over again and according to your faith, diligence and heed, there will always be 'new writing' that you can pull out of it.

Some statements help us know why certain things are included in the Book of Mormon.

  1 Nephi 19:6 — "I do not write anything upon plates save it be that I think it be sacred." 

2 Nephi 4:15-16 — "And upon these I write the things of my soul … for the learning and the profit of my children. Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart pondereth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard."

2 Nephi 25:23 — "We … write, to persuade our children … to believe in Christ."

Jacob 1:2-4 — "And he gave me, Jacob, a commandment that I should write upon these plates a few of the things which I considered to be most precious …"

Honest stories, positive resolutions.  There are two things about Book of Mormon stories.  First, they are very honest.   Consider numerous examples, Nephi writes that his brothers want to kill him; Sariah complains about her husband; Alma the Younger tries to destroy the church; and Corianton has to come home early from his mission because of immorality.  (Pal: Because this is so current, I won't include family problems which are occurring now.  Believe me, we have them, as everyone does, but now isn't the time to make them "public". Daily problems, in time, have a way of working out.  I love President Gordon B. Hinckley's simple statement of "Don't worry!  Things will work out!")

Second, the Book of Mormon stories typically end with a positive resolution.  The story of Nephi’s family doesn’t completely end with a dysfunctional family. You see how he tried to teach his brothers, how he tried to be a good example for them. We see Alma the Younger say he was in the ‘gall of bitterness,’ but then he says how sweet was my joy (Alma 36:18-20),” 

Another blogging tip can be found scattered throughout the Book of Mormon.  The Book of Mormon prophets were not afraid to quote other prophets. Look at how Nephi quotes Isaiah? Jacob quotes Zenos. In our blogs we don’t have to rely on ourselves, we can quote the brethren, scripture verses, good phrases and good books that we like and which have influenced us.

Good blogs usually have a consistent theme.   Blogs should have a point, have a theme, have a message, have a mission, have a purpose.  There are people searching for the truth but don’t know where to find it.   We live in an interconnected world.  Blogs help us hear individual voices wherever they might be around the globe. This can help expand our horizons.

Who will read it? We caution bloggers to remember digital media is forever media, so be careful what you post.  And like the Book of Mormon, you never know who will end up reading it, so share a message that will make a difference in someone's life.   "You may be posting your photos of your latest camping trip for your grandmother in Wisconsin, but someone in Florida might stumble upon your blog, read your entry, love it, read more entries, start blog-stalking you, and be totally influenced for good by it.  They didn’t anticipate stumbling upon your blog, and maybe they didn’t anticipate stumbling upon the Book of Mormon, but both of them are out there and can change lives."

"The Book of Mormon is like a blog in that you don’t really know who will read it, and how it will affect them. It was written to 'the Lamanites … and also to Jew and Gentile' (Title Page) in the last days, but its content can be picked up and read by anyone, anywhere, anytime. Make your blogs public. Write to the public. Let your light so shine.  (All this is included in the "Tips for LDS Bloggers".)

That is my message tonight, and also my encouragement for anyone who would like to try it.  I have read some blogs in which a new entry is 1 or 2 times a week.  I try to write each day, so far, but the day may come when I am not able to do it that often.  That is the reason I truly hope some of you who enjoy what I write will “follow” me, and make sure it doesn’t end up in your “spam”! 

 Good night to all.  It seems if I haven’t written today, I can’t sleep until I write something.

             
One of the fun things about a blog is posting family pictures!  This photo below is such a classic.  It was taken around 30 years ago.  From the left:
Curt, (Allens')--who now is the tallest!-- Nick, (Delsy's) Josh, (Wayne's) Matt, (Delsy's), (all are grandsons) and Jeremy on the right, our youngest. He is an uncle to the other boys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!