50. Prayers answered and quote by Pres. Monson about Prayers

I have almost always prayed about any problem that has come up in my life.  I haven't kept a good journal of answers to my prayers, and I'm going to try to do that as the new year approaches.  I have had answers to my prayers, in actually small things in the last few days.  I find that Heavenly Father is quick to answer small things as well as large things, and it makes me love Him even more, to realize He cares about the small things.  I like the scripture in The Book of Mormon, Alma, Chapter 34, verses 18 to 27 -- But I'll quote only some verses:

"  (20 - on) Cry unto him when ye are in your fields, yea, over all your flocks.  Cry unto him in your house, yea, over all your household both morning, mid-day, and evening.  Yea, cry unto him against the power of your enemies.  Yea, cry unto him against the devil, who is an enemy to all righteousness.  Cry unto him over the crops of your fields, that ye may prosper in them.  Cry over the flocks of your fields, that they may increase.

--26.--  But this is not all; ye must pour out your souls in your closets, and your secret places, and in your wilderness.  Yea, and when you do no cry unto the Lord , let your hearts be full, drawn out in prayer unto him continually for your welfare and also for the welfare of those who are around you."   So from that I feel that Heavenly Father wants us to pay about almost everything!

In our Choir cantata in Sacrament meeting this last Sunday, Dec. 22, we were singing and all of a sudden my throat got very itchy!   You all know that feeling when there is an itch at the back of your throat and you can't keep from coughing.  Sometimes even to cough doesn't help, and it keeps needing you to cough and cough and cough.  I was in front in the choir seats, and when I realized I couldn't keep from coughing, I tried to make it not noticeable.  But it kept coming until my eyes were watering.  I began to say in my mind a sincere prayer asking Heavenly Father to please take away the itch deep in the back of my throat.  In only about one more page of the music, the feeling was gone!  I was so grateful.  I had thought I'd have to get up and leave the Choir!  (I hadn't had that itch before, and haven't had it since.)

I actually had another small thing that happened a couple of days ago, and I planned to write about it, and I can't remember it!   That shows me I need to record them immediately, and give thanks to Heavenly Father for His constant care.  I do remember in the last 2 or 3 days that my husband had misplaced his glasses, and looked all over for them.  I found them under a chair under my sewing machine cabinet -- which was an answer to his prayer.  Those are small incidents, but actually they happen so often we probably don't pay attention, or say "Thanks!" for them.  
 (I'm adding on Sunday, Dec. 29, that story.  I remembered it!) --  On Christmas Day our grandson on an LDS mission in Taiwan was to call on Skype at 7:00 p.m.  Our daughter Anita worried that the set up wasn't right, and about 10 minutes after 7:00 I suggested we have a prayer so the Skype would work.  We did, and within 5 minutes it worked!  The call was dropped 2 times during the half hour we had to talk, but each time after a minute or so, he was able to call back, and we had our full 30 minutes even though it took 45 minutes or so to complete it!

I plan to insert in my writings little spiritual experiences such as those, which help me remember Heaven's help! 

 I would encourage any of you to record spiritual experiences.  It will strengthen our testimonies.  Two of our grand children, a brother and sister, had their Patriarchal blessings by the same Patriarch.  They were both told that they had a "council of grandfathers" that were watching over them and would help them in this life.  The granddaughter, actually a couple of years before she got her blessing, was walking alone (about 12 years old) a block or two from her house in Las Vegas, going home from school.  Her dad usually picked her up but that day he had a doctor's appointment, and she was walking home alone from where she got off the bus. 

 A man came by in a car, and said to her.  "Would you guys like a ride?" (remember she was alone, but apparently the man saw more than one).  It came to her mind to just say no, and keep on walking, which is what she did.  Truly, her "council of grandfathers" was watching out for her even then.  I've often wondered if the small events in our lives in which we need help, are watched over, and that our "guardian angels" are taking care of us.   

 A Quote by Pres. Thomas S. Monson , about Prayer --  

"Life was never meant to be all smiles and happiness. There will come those teaching times to each of you when you will witness the love of your mother, the strength of your father, and the inspiration of God.

It must not be expected that the road of life spreads itself in an unobstructed view before the person starting her journey. You must anticipate coming upon forks and turnings in the road. But you cannot hope to reach your desired journey’s end if you think aimlessly about whether to go east or west. You must make your decisions purposefully.
          When crucial decisions create a "fork in the road" do we pray about our decision?

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,        
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.        
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
(Now back to Pres. Monson's quote:)

Our Heavenly Father has placed an upward reach in every one of us. The words of scripture speak loud and clear: "Look to God and live." No problem is too small for His attention nor so large that He cannot answer the prayer of faith. Prayer surely is the passport to spiritual power. You can pray with purpose when you realize who you are and what Heavenly Father wants you to become.

You will not find it difficult to approach Him with your sincere prayer as you remember the words of the Apostle Paul, "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?"  (end of quote of Pres. Monson)

When we remember that Heavenly Father loves us totally and unconditionally we will want to turn to Him any time we feel the need, and also when we feel gratitude for our many blessings!   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!