76. Integrity of heart, What is it? Examples are Joseph and Hyrum Smith

What is integrity? That word inspires me, and I have wanted to write about it.  When writing about our pioneers, and ancestors, I feel their integrity.  Our lives are so important in the eternal scheme of things, that we need to live with integrity, so we can truly have happiness in this life, and in the life to come.

On December 18, 1835, The Prophet Joseph Smith wrote, "I could pray in my heart that all my brethren were like unto my beloved brother Hyrum, who possesses the mildness of a lamb, and the integrity of a Job, and in short, the meekness and humility of Christ; I love him with that love that is stronger than death".  What a comfort such a brother was to the Prophet who had so many turn against him, both in and out of the Church.   (Italics and bold print added.)




               A painting of Joseph, left, and his beloved brother Hyrum.

By 1841,the saints had left Missouri because of increasing persecutions and illegal procedures against them,and the city of Nauvoo had been established. The Prophet Joseph Smith was not always aware of who his friends or who his enemies were.

I love the statement in Doctrine and Covenants, dated January 19, 1841, Section 124, verse 15, which states:  " . . . blessed is my servant Hyrum Smith; for I, the Lord, love him because of the integrity of his heart, and because he loveth that which is right before me, saith the Lord."  Following in verse 20, "And again, verily I say unto you, my servant George Miller is without guile; he may be trusted because of the integrity of his heart; and for the love which he has to my testimony I, the Lord, love him."


    We read of Job in Chapter 2:3,  " And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity."


In Psalms 139:23-24 we read:  "Search me, Oh God, and know my heart; try me and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."


                                     The Prophet Lorenzo Snow

The Prophet Lorenzo Snow taught: "God is now feeling after us . . . It would be well to purify and prepare ourselves, and in the language of the Psalmist, call upon God. If we succeed in passing through the approaching fiery ordeals with our fidelity and integrity unimpeached, we may expect at the close of our trials, a great and mighty outpouring of the Spirit and power of God--a great endowment upon all who shall have remained true to their covenants." 

Our 13th Article of Faith describes what a life of integrity would include:

"We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say we follow the admonition of Paul--We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."

In the teachings of the Church for youth we read:
Be honest with yourself, others, and God at all times. Being honest means choosing not to lie, steal, cheat, or deceive in any way. When you are honest, you build strength of character that will allow you to be of great service to God and others. You will be blessed with peace of mind and self-respect. You will be trusted by the Lord and will be worthy to enter into His holy temples.  
 Dishonesty harms you and harms others as well. If you lie, steal, shoplift, or cheat, you damage your spirit and your relationships with others. Being honest will enhance your future opportunities and your ability to be guided by the Holy Ghost. Be honest at school; choose not to cheat in any way. Be honest in your job, giving a full amount of work for your pay. Do not rationalize that being dishonest is acceptable, even though others may think it does not matter.
 Closely associated with honesty is integrity. Integrity means thinking and doing what is right at all times, no matter what the consequences. When you have integrity, you are willing to live by your standards and beliefs even when no one is watching.  Choose to live so that your thoughts and behavior are always in harmony with the gospel.
So we see, integrity is a choice, which will bring us happiness not only in this life, but for eternity.  I truly hope we all will want to live our lives with integrity and honor.
  


       Our Savior Jesus Christ is the perfect example of true integrity.

I'm adding this 4 days later --  something I read this morning on Facebook:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!