83. Temple thoughts, Enduring to the End, Chinese New Year!

I had two sweet "tender mercies" today as I attended the St. George Temple.  As I sat down in the waiting room, for only about 5 minutes, I picked up a Book of Mormon, and opened it.  The verse my eyes fell on was 3 Nephi, 15:9:  "Behold, I am the law, and the light.  Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life."

ENDURING TO THE END:  I have often wondered what I needed to change, to be in that category.  Hopefully, trying to live the Gospel, go to the Temple, and other rather ordinary things will help qualify all of us.   I did receive a new insight this morning, and I want to concentrate studying more of what our Prophet and apostles teach us, particularly in the Conference Ensign Issues.  I would encourage any of you readers to do the same.  This world is steadily getting more evil, and we need anything we can find, and then ponder about, to help us know the "good from the evil", and teach our children and grandchildren also.



Wayne just handed this to me!  It seems so appropriate that I've added it in.   We find ourselves in "Pickles" often!  It fits with the next paragraph!


Also I noticed the wife of my doctor, and they were attending the same session.  Yesterday I went to him, and he worked on the arthritis in my neck.  What a strange place to get arthritis, it seems, and it seemed I was doomed to be "stiff-necked" the rest of my life.  Our doctor is an osteopath, which is a medical doctor, and our insurance pays him. But instead of surgery and pharmaceuticals, he studied natural healing, and types of therapy which resemble a chiropractor, but are more helpful, it seems.   (He does have great knowledge about those subjects, and understand's Wayne's complicated list of heart and high blood pressure medicine.)  Last week, when my neck had a particularly piercing pain in a certain place, I went to him, and he gave me a cortizone shot exactly in the sore place!  But it worked! and now I have much less pain as I use the computer, or play the piano.   I always love to see people I know in the Temple!  



I knew I had a colored picture of Pam and Tacy!  I posted the black and white one 3 days ago on blog # 80

 Now, to the Chinese New Year!  We have a grandson on a mission in Taiwan who is experiencing his first Chinese New Year, and probably being fascinated about it!  They say it is celebrated by more people in this world than any other holiday.  His mother Anita, our daughter, was telling us some things she has learned about it last night, as we were playing some games with some family members.  She said that on a certain day, I believe it is tomorrow -- right after the Chinese New Year, everyone celebrates their birthday, and considers themselves a year older!  So according to that --  I am now 80 years old!  (Actually that won't be until October).  We have a dear daughter-in-law, Kim, (her American name) who is native Chinese, and from Taiwan.  When Anita first was becoming acquainted with her and asked her birthday, she said "Do you want to know my Chinese age, or my regular age", (or something to that effect.)  Holidays are wonderful, and its fun to celebrate with family and friends!

I'm enclosing parts of an article in the Meridian Magazine about the Chinese New Year:  It is entitled:  The Worlds Biggest Holiday begins January 31 and ends Feb. 15th, by Dian Thomas.


"For anyone who has traveled through Asia during the lunar New Year, they will be aware of this huge holiday. My first experience of it was when I was in Hawaii years ago. I was staying with some friends who ask me if I wanted to go to China Town in Honolulu to celebrate the New Year. I could hardly wait for the big event. When we got there the fireworks began to go off and before it was over I was holding my ears for dear life and wishing that I could get out of the noise as it was so loud.
puppets
Last year I was in China for this holiday. Millions and millions of people traveled by plane and train to be with their families. I went to the Western part of China to Chengdu. While I was there I went to the Tibetan area and stayed at the Sheraton. I was at the computer area and met a man who was working in China for his company out of Chicago. He told me that the factory that he worked at totally closed for two weeks. He said, the people in America just don’t understand how a country can close for two weeks. But once you have been there and experienced it you will get a sense of how important families are and why they all go home for this special holiday.
diningfamily
I just talked to an American Chinese friend that told me even here in America she will celebrate the new year by having four parties at her home.
I met with a family in Chengdu for part of my New Year last year. One day we went to my friend’s mother’s family and had a big dinner. Another day it was to her father’s family and yet another day we stayed at her home and her father cooked the most incredible meal for everyone.
Gifts to the children are part of the experience. If you have a job and are making money you are expected to put some money in a small red envelope and give it to the children. My friends’ daughter who is three took all the money that was given to her and her parents put it away for her schooling.
Toward the end of the two weeks they have a festival call the Lantern Festival. They turn parks into amusement parks with food, lanterns, and fun events for families to go to. Then on Feb 15 will be the last day and that night the fireworks begin toward evening and go until Midnight and then it is over. If you live near a China Town and want a fun experience check out the activities and join them for the biggest holiday of the year."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!