107. Petite 4 ft. 10 in. mother, Gladys Eckman, mother of 9!

        Continued from Blog # 106.  --  Gladys and Roy Eckman  -- For those who read Blog # 106, check back -- I added more pictures I just found!


             Roy and Gladys holding the twins, Wayne and Blaine, born 1930.
Roy farmed for about a year on 3200 S. Redwood Road, and we then moved to 421 E. 45th S. in 1941 where we lived, until June 1948. We moved to 3384 S. 2nd W.  (This is where they lived when Pal met Wayne, and most of their children were married.  Pal and Wayne lived in Sandy, and would drive up to their home almost every Sunday evening, where they always had ice cream and cake.  She was a wonderful cook, and included dessert with each meal.  She always did the dishes right after each meal, no matter what, and always kept a very clean house.) 
We received our endowments 10 Jan, 1934, in the Salt Lake Temple. This was one of the happiest days of our lives. Six children were born to us before we were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple: Floyd LeRoy, Jennie May, Gladys June, Ruby Ann, and twin boys, Wayne D. and Blaine D. We were blessed with three more children born under the covenant: Ronald Dean, Shirlene, and Joyce Marie.

I now teach the lesson on work day called Food Preparation and Service. (written probably in 1961) We receive new recipes which we pass on to the sisters on work day.  I have helped prepare the lunch on work day for about seven years.  (Gladys often gave demonstrations on making bread and was very good at it.) I have undergone three operations, otherwise I have been very healthy, which I give thanks to my Heavenly Father for.


                              A later picture of Gladys and Roy Eckman

Our twins Wayne D. and Blaine D. have been on a mission to Sweden. They have also served two years in the armed service. Floyd Leroy our eldest son has also served in the Air Corps.  I love to cook and bake, I also enjoy sewing, crocheting, and textile painting. We have had a great deal of sickness in our family, but through the Elders administering to them, they have been made well.

One morning when I took Joyce Marie from her crib, I put her down on her feet, but she was unable to stand. We sent for the doctor and he told us that she had rheumatic fever, (we already had two other children with the fever) so this was a great shock to us. That evening we called in an Elder and he and my husband administered to her. He told me to rub her entire body with consecrated oil, which I did, she slept all through the night, and when I took her up in the morning she was able to walk. When the Doctor came to take her to the hospital he called it a miracle. Yes, it was a miracle performed through our faith in the Elders.

 There are many incidents which I could relate which I hold dear in my heart. My faith was made so much stronger. We have been to many points of interest here in Utah, and also have been to California three times. In 1956 we visited the Los Angeles Temple and it was a wonderful experience. We have also gone through the St. George, the Manti, and Logan Temples.  It is our desire to visit all the temples if the Lord so desires.

(Written years later) I have been a Relief Society Visiting Teacher for over thirty five years. I enjoy it very much. I am a member of the Daughter’s of the Utah Pioneers. We have home night as often as possible, we read from the Book of Mormon and other church books. I received my Patriarchal Blessing the 24th of January, 1950 from Patriarch LaFayette Cox Lee.  My blessing has been a comfort to me, and I have tried to do the things set down in it.

 I was so thankful when Joyce Marie, Roy, and I were set apart in December of 1956 to do Genealogical Work, because that was stressed in my blessing.   Since then we have gone to the Temple to help with sealings. Also we took several boys and girls to be baptized for the dead. It is a wonderful work and with the Lord’s help we hope to search out and find what we need to complete our records.

I have met President Grant, and George Albert Smith.  We always kneel together and have our evening prayer. There is a saying, “They that pray together, stay together.” I am a firm believer in this. We now have 44 grandchildren and 18 great-grandchildren. With the help of the Lord, I hope to get each of our children interested in Genealogical Work, so that they can compile a complete record for future generations. This is my sincere prayer, and I ask it in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. (End of her writing.)


            Their family, top L to R: Myrth, Floyd (army) June, Ruby, May, 
          Front: Wayne, Ronald, Roy, Shirlene, Gladys, Blaine, about 1942.

She made hand written books of remembrance and gave to grandchildren, with pedigree charts and family group sheets, usually for their 16th birthday.  She was just 4 feet 10 inches tall and never learned to drive a car, and,and probably couldn’t have seen over the steering wheel anyway. She was a wonderful housekeeper and cook. Wayne remembers homeless men often came to their home for a handout during the Great Depression. She always gave them a good meal.  Several of their children were born during the Depression, and her husband had to work very hard to support them.  (See Roy Eckman's history in blog # 93, and his parents in # 95.) 

The home above is their last home at 3384 South 200 West in Salt Lake City.  It is hard to read the caption-- They planted two pine trees that were about 4 feet tall in 1955, but years later grew as tall as the house.

 After Roy died, on September 19, 1975, Gladys lived in a nice trailer, near Ronald on 64th South in the Salt Lake Valley. In her last year or two she was in a care center, and passed away July 7, 1987, and was buried in the Granger Cemetery.    

 Roy and Gladys loved to go to movies, and had their “date” each Friday night. Then they showed a 15 minute News Reel, usually with pictures of the war, and previews of up-coming shows. There was also a cartoon or two before the movie started, and they were great westerns, lavish musicals, love stories, high drama and great comedy, all most G or PG, and were safe and enjoyable for all ages. They probably saw most of the old movies we now see on television.  They both had an 8th grade education, as times were very hard, and they both had to work after that age.  But after they were married she was a "stay-at-home" mom.  They were wonderful, honest, hard working, independent,and kind people, the salt of the earth!
I hope you can see the pictures above.  The newspaper article tells about when Gladys turned 80 years old.  The one on the right is Gladys and Roy, with their two youngest girls, Shirlene top, and Joyce Marie.  The small one on the bottom is Gladys, about age 16.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!