134. Samuel Miles called to Dixie in 1862, lives rest of his life here~

 THIS IS THE FINAL ENTRY OF SAMUEL MILES' JOURNAL.  THIS LAST ENTRY IS RATHER LONG, AND YOU CAN TAKE YOUR TIME READING IT.  THERE IS A LOT OF HISTORY OF EARLY ST. GEORGE, WHICH HE WAS A PART OF.

1862 - After closing my school in March, I resumed my farming and cultivated two city lots.  On the 7th of May was born my fifth son called John Talmar.  I acted as teacher in the ward and assisted Bishop Hill in settling tithing.  Three hundred teams were sent to the frontiers to assist the poor saints to the valley.  (These were saints on the plains who needed help to get to Utah).    On Sunday the 19th of October, 1862,  my name with 150 others was called to go with our families to go strengthen the cotton growing country in the southern part of the Territory. (Dixie -- now St. George)

I immediately began to make preparations to go with my family.  I sold my hay and pasture lots near the city.  I made a good fit out wagon and two yoke of cattle and rented my house and city lots.  With this call to go south the spirit of the mission came upon me and my family.  We went to work in good faith and were prospered in all our exertions to get off comfortably.  Meantime the troops, one regiment under Col. Conner sent from California, came in November and located near the city.

On the 10th of November we left the city having for company Peter Hanson and family.  After a prosperous journey of three weeks we arrived in St. George December 3, (1862) about 350 miles from Great Salt Lake City.  The first large company to settle in the south was called in 1861.  We found St. George quite a city.  A few families were living in Santa Clara and Washington. Indian missionaries were sent to this country some years previous to the call of 1861.  These older settlements were strengthened and others made, St. George being headquarters of the mission with Orson Pratt and Erastus Snow in charge.
 Some 300 miles south of Great Salt Lake City we come to the rim of the great basin where a breaking down of the country on to the waters of the Rio Virgin brings us into a much warmer climate, little snow in winter, a semi-tropical country where cotton and the grape flourish.


( By Pal -- From 1868 to 1869 this was the largest producing cotton factory west of the Mississippi. The factory operated off and on for over 50 years, but on a whole it was a very poor venture. The Dixie Mission was created to produce cotton and although not a successful venture the historian A.K. Larsen said : "had it not been for the erection of the cotton factory, the Dixie Mission would have failed.". It seemed to be the one catalyst that held the people in Utah's Dixie together.)

I bought me a city lot for $45 and camped on it with a tent and wagon box to live in.  The home now is on the Southwest corner of Main Street and 300 South in St. George.  This link below gives the history of the house they built in St. George, and subsequent owners.  It is on the historical register list.
Below is the history of the home as written on the internet link below.



This home is facing east, just below 300 South on Main Street in St. George.

http://wchsutah.org/homes/samuel-miles-home.php    (This is the link the information above came from.)

1863 - A company was formed mostly of those coming into St. George in 1862 to construct a dam across the Rio Virgin River at the site where the Joseph Horn Company opened a cotton farm a few years previous, 5 miles southwest of St. George.  President Snow organized the company with Ellis M. Sanders, Wilson Lund and Samuel Miles as committee to open the field.  Some 30 persons went to work and put in a brush dam and put the water on the land bringing into cultivation some 300 acres.  I fenced my city lot and put out 35 peach trees.  I lost 3 of my oxen through miring in the river among hard times for feed, and sickness.

On the 20th of June started for Salt Lake city with my wife, Samuel, Ira and John to attend a Mormon Battalion festival on 16 of July, and other business. We had a grand reunion of the Battalion,180 being present with 50 of the pioneers, the first presidency and others.  I made the trip as was customary in that time with an ox team.

On the 20th of July we started for home and arrived at St. George on the 15th of August and found the boys had done well at home.  I worked at molasses making in the fall and did well.  I paid for adobes and lumber to build a small house but lost my cattle and was unable to put it up.  I raised 80 lbs. of cotton and some other products as well, and am satisfied with the country.  I acted as teacher in the ward.

1864 - Started on the 2nd of January to Pine Valley where I taught school 2 months.  On my return I continued to improve my city lot and set out grape vines and cotton.  I obtained a team and went to work to improve my land in Heberville.  I put in corn, cotton and cane.  Much labor was required in leveling, raised a light crop.  Having no team I decided to go to Salt Lake City and sell my house and lot.  Went up with Brother Brance starting 23rd of October.  I sold my house and lot to President Young and got a span of mules, a harness and wagon, the kind of team I wanted.  My Brother-in-law H.S. Alexander and Brother Burr Frost helped me to $75 in store pay.  Hauled a load of goods to St. George for Richard Bently.  Being much prospered in obtaining supplies for my family, I arrived at home December 12th.  My brother Orson was very liberal in assisting me.  On my return, found all well.  We were thankful for the success I had in getting a team and supplies to help us along in making a start in our southern home.

1865 - Spent most of the winter in hauling home my wheat from Parowan and Cedar, had a very disagreeable time in the mud and storm.  Traded my wagon I moved down in for five cows.  So far completed the lean-to of my contemplated house, as to move into it on the first of April.  A son was born to us on the 7th of April.  We called him Franklin Godbe.  Was blessed by Daniel D. McArthur.  We are very thankful for our new house having lived in a tent 2 ½ years all of which time we had enjoyed health and much of the blessings of the Lord.  We feel much attached to our home in St. George.  Although a hard land to make a start in, we feel that the Lord will bless it according to predictions of His servants.

I cultivated my land in Heberville in wheat, corn and cotton and employed most of my time in cultivating the soil.  Gustavus and Samuel assisted me.  On the 24th of July, myself and wife, Gustavus and others of the children attended the celebration in Pine Valley.  President George A. Smith was present.  We had a good time.
The photo above is of the Brigham Young home in St. George.  There are quite a few couple missionaries that take tours through his home, and the Tabernacle, and the Jacob Hamblin Home in Santa Clara, and the Temple Visitor's Center.  It is call the "Temple Visitor's Center Mission."

President Brigham and company visited St. George in September imparting much good instruction, comforting the saints.  My crops were light compelling me to haul my provisions from the north.  On the 18th of September I was elected Major in the Infantry Regiment of St. George. I am trying to improve and make me a comfortable home and feel that the Lord has been with me.  I am teaching my children at home and they are learning very fast.  My boys are a great comfort to me and I hope to teach them that they grow up intelligent and as good in the Kingdom of God.

       I pray that I may acquit myself well as a parent.  My wife has always been a faithful companion to me and has always labored assiduously for her children.  She has been faithful to this mission.  I have acted as a teacher in the ward the past year.

     1866 - Brother William Straper gave me 12 bushels of wheat.  My brother Orson helped us much in clothing.  This proved a favorable year for the people in this part of the Territory.  Much grain was raised.  I raised 60 bushels of wheat and 200 lbs. of cotton.  On the 30th of May I started to St. Thomas on the Muddy with Apostle Erastus Snow and company to visit and preach to the saints.  Many were called there to build up that part.  I had a profitable time going for 10 days with 11 Elders in the company.  My brother Orson and family were of the company called to settle that part.  President Erastus Snow who presided in the mission being an energetic leader in building up and directing the saints in this land.


  (Note by Pal -- My mother Ruth's mother Levinah Emmeline Wilson was born down on the Muddy in 1870 --St. Thomas--, before the saints there were called back to Utah, due to the high taxes they were expected to pay there in Nevada.  Since that time the town was covered by Lake Mead.  But since the lake has diminished, some places and buildings are now visible.)

On the 21st of September I started with my wife and four youngest children to attend conference and visit our friends in the north leaving Gustavus and Samuel at home to attend to the work.  We visited my brother William and family who lived at Springville, also my brother Ira who lived in Lehi.  We arrived in the city October 3rd and found our friends and relatives glad to welcome us.  We visited my brother Orson and family and my wife’s sister Rosina Godbe.  We also visited my sister Sally and family, Henry S. Alexander living at Wanship, Summit County.  We arrived at home November 1st and found all well.  I lost one of my mules on the road home at Beaver.  Brother John Murdock kindly lent a horse to drive home.  I went to work hauling wood.  I commenced teaching school in the first ward in St. George, December 3rd.  My three oldest attended school.  I have labored as a teacher in the ward the past year.

1867 - I continued teaching school until the latter part of May.  Farmed some but my wheat proved a failure from not getting the water in the ditch in time.  Conference in St. George commenced on the 3rd of May.  President Young and company from the city were in attendance.  On the 5th during conference, on nomination by President Snow, I was appointed to fill a vacancy in the High Council in St. George. 

On the 12th of May, 1867 was set apart as Councilor and Superintendent of Sabbath School in St. George.  May 29th I started with President Snow and company to visit the settlements in Kane County for the purpose of preaching and counseling the saints in the settlements.  I addressed the saints in Harrisburg, Toquerville, and Rockville and enjoyed the visit, was gone 5 days.  I then took charge of the Sunday School in St. George. 

On the 9th of July I started with President Snow and company from St. George to visit the saints living in the northern and western settlements such as Pine Valley, Pinto, Mountain Meadows, Shoal Creek, Panaca, and Eagle Valley.    I spoke at each place except Mountain Meadows.  Much good counsel was given to the saints in these new settlements on their temporal and spiritual welfare by President Snow who is untiring in his labors for the good of this mission.  I derived much strength and comfort on this trip composed of some 10 or 15 Elders of St. George.  I was absent 11 days.

On the 18th day I was ordained a High Priest under the hands of Apostle Erastus Snow and Jacob Gates, Brother Snow being mouth.

On the 19th I started on a tour to visit the saints in company with President Snow, F.B. Wolley, Richard Bently, Jacob Gates and Robert Gardner.  Held meeting at Harmony, Kanarah, Cedar and Parawan at all of which places I addressed the saints.  We returned by way of Toquerville, President Snow going on to Salt Lake City.  We were gone 9 days.
   



    I dug the cellar and commenced hauling the rock to build the front or main building of a house.  On the 19th of August I, present with the High Council and authority of St. George, deposited books, records and cotton in the Corner Stone of the Tabernacle, President Snow officiating.  Commenced my fall quarter of school September 9th kept 3 months.  Andrew McArthur - 75 scholars.  I was much strengthened in my duties as a Sunday School Superintendent.

       On the 26th of October our 7th son was born.  We called him James Edwin.  On the 29th of October Samuel started north to go to Weber Valley to live with his Grandfather Thomas Colborn.

1868 - I continued school teaching to the number of 10 months during the year.  Accompanied Joseph W. Young and John R. Young on a mission to the settlements on the Muddy, started July 30th.  We made an extended trip to the mountains above the head of the Muddy to look for water sufficient to put in a steam Sawmill, the scant spring not encouraging for this purpose.

My brother Orson and family were located at St. Joseph, he having been called to this mission.  We went down by the Desert route, a cut off through the barren wastes back from the river, and returned by the river route.   On the 11th of November I started in company with President Snow, Jacob Gates, D.D. McArthur,  and Ute Perkins to visit the settlements on the upper Rio Virgin and attend Muster of the Military at Virgin City.  Went as far as Shonesburg holding meetings and returned to St. George on the 16th.   On the 18th an encampment and Muster of the Military was held near St. George on the 19th.  I was promoted to Lieut. Col. of the Regiment.

1869 - Farmed some through the summer and put up the walls of a house 16 x 30 story and ½ high.   Gustavus went to Salt Lake City on a working trip and visit in June.  He received his endowment and was ordained an Elder by David Day November 15th.  Mother Colborn came down from Weber City, Morgan County.  James Edwin Miles died May 10, 1869.

1870 - Followed farming.  Our 8th son Charles Henry was born July 2nd 1870.  Blessed August 7th by his father.  I started to Salt Lake City September 24th to attend Conference, took Mother Colborn home with me reached home on my return October 28.  President Brigham Young, George A. Smith, Brigham Young Jr. and others came to spend the winter in St. George December 10th.

     1871 - On the first of January Samuel commenced to learn the harness and saddle trade in St. George with Brother Platt Gustavus.  Also commenced February 28th to learn stone cutting at St. George Tabernacle.  I farmed through the season.  Commenced teaching school at Santa Clara five miles from St. George, December 27th and taught 3 months.  Sarah Bower Colborn (his wife Hannah Marinda's mother) died at Weber City, Morgan County.

1872 - Farmed in Heberville and done well.  Gustavus and Samuel helped part of the season.  I started to Salt Lake City June 15th to enter land on the Santa Clara 80 acres, my land and that of others included in the entry.  Visited Father Colborn who with his wife Sarah Ann Tribe lived at Kaysville, taking my first ride on the railroad.  Stayed with my brother Orson while in the city.  My brother Ira and wife came to visit us in St. George December 2, they spent the winter at our house.  They started home March 16th 1873.  Gustavus went to school through the end, Samuel part of the time working in the harness shop.  I taught school 3 months at the Santa Clara commencing December 4th.  President Young and a small company from Salt Lake spent the winter in St. George.

1873  In February 1873 a company was formed to buy out the Heberville bottom to farm it on the cooperative plan $4,700 was the price to be paid for the farm.  The company consisting of Robert Gardner, President;  D.H. Cannon and George Baker directors; and William Atkin, David Moss, Fredrich Foremaster, Samuel Miles, Samuel G. Miles, William Webb, H.W. Church, (Haden Wells Church, Pal's other great grandfather) Aaron Nelson, J.M. McFarland.  The company carried on farming the season of 1873 with fair success.  I labored on the farm through the season and commenced teaching school in the 3rd ward in St. George December 8th , continued 3 months.  President Young and George A. Smith arrived here in December to spend the winter.

A site having been selected here in St. George for a temple, about 100 men from San Pete and from other counties arrived here to work on the temple.

1874 - Early in February 1874 President Young began to prepare the minds of the saints in this land to enter into the order of Enoch or the United Order.  He gave President Robert Gardner permission to circulate a paper in St. George to signers to go into this order which was so much a success that signers were together on the evenings of the 9th and 10th of February to make arrangements to commence work in this order.  A general meeting for this vicinity was held on Saturday and Sunday 13th and 14th of February at St. George at which much instruction was imparted by President Young and George A. Smith on the order.  The time had come to commence it here.

     On the 17th of February the company who had farmed as Cooperative Company the past season being willing to put their farm into the order and work in the same were organized (Heberville being changed to Price City) as the Price City United Order Company by President Young and George A. Smith and a portion of the Santa Clara settlement counseled to unite with us.  George Baker was elected our foreman.  We being the first company thus formed in this land, we counseled together at the same table, having our time controlled, all working for the good of all.

We accordingly commenced to live together some 6 or 7 families from Santa Clara moving down.  We fixed a temporary house for eating in and camped on the town site.  Our seasons labor and our associations together were quite profitable and a brotherly, kind feeling prevailed.  Brother Baker, our foreman, and Brother Ensign of Santa Clara, his assistant, were kind and beloved by all.  We were a department of the St. George United Order.  I assisted in the labor of the farm and kept the accounts.  My sons Thomas and Ira labored in the company, my family living in St. George.


The labor on the temple continued, a large number from the north came in the fall.  My brother William and his son Orson being of the number.  My father-in-law Thomas Colborn came to visit us.

On the 14th of August a daughter was born to us, we called her Hannah Marinda.  She was blessed September 3, Charles L. Walker being mouth.

The United Order sought to be introduced among the saints was not generally received and practiced but in a few places.  It was found impractical to keep up our organization at Price although President Young made efforts to do so.  The farm reverted back to the old Heberville Company was farmed by a cooperative company,  William F. Butler being Superintendent.

1875 - We were well united and did well in our farming.  I moved my family to Price May 1875.  I attended the Semi-annual conference at Salt lake City in October, my wife going with me.  My sons Samuel and Thomas went to the city and received their endowments, December 6th 1875.  Samuel was here married to Louisa Worthen that same day.  Myself, my wife and Thomas renewed our covenants by baptism in August 1875.  Samuel and Thomas were ordained Elders in St. George November 14th 1875.  Robert Gardner, D. D. McArthur and David Milne and I became partners.  Accounts were kept in all our labors together and the produce was divided according to labor furnished.

1876 - On the 9th of January 1876 a company was formed to farm the Price field under the Superintendency of Elder Milo Andrus.  The farm was bought by the new company.   Several new members joined the company which was carried on the cooperative plan.  I joined the company.  My brother Ira and wife arrived in St. George in December.  On the 25th of May 1874 my Gustavus was married to Paralee Amanda Church at the Endowment House in Salt Lake City.  I worked in the Andrus Company through the season, my family living on the farm.  President Young, Wilford Woodruff and Brigham Young Jr. came to St. George in November 1876.

1877 - The temple being sufficiently completed, the font in the basement, the first floor were dedicated January 1877.  I attended the dedication.  Ira was ordained an Elder by Wilford Woodruff and received his endowments in the temple at St. George January 25th 1877.

The General Conference of the Church in April was held in the Temple at St. George.  I acted as one of the door keepers, continued to work on the Price farm.  I was baptized in the font in the temple for Grandfather James Rowe Miles and my Great Grandfather Miles June 5th.  I received endowments for my Grandfather June 25th.  My sons William Gustavus, Samuel, and Thomas were sealed to their parents in the temple July 5th by J.D.T. McAllister.  I attended at the prayer circle in the temple in behalf of President Young who was taken with severe sickness at Salt Lake City.  He died in Salt Lake City, August 29th 1877 at 4 p.m.  John T. Miles was ordained an Elder and received his endowments in the temple September 13th.  I received endowments for my Great Grandfather Miles that same day.  I worked through the season on the Price farm.  The company did well under Brother Lang.  At the end of the season it was thought best to let the farm go back to the original owners.  This was agreed to with the consent of the President of the Stake.

Myself and sons Gustavus, Samuel, Thomas, and younger sons agreed to labor together at the Price farm.  My share at division with some we purchased was some 30 acres.  We obtained more land and commenced preparing to work together most in making our homes at the farm.

1878 - I secured one of the houses on the place in which to put my family.  Worked some in the temple for our dead relatives.  Hannah was baptized for Sarah Simonds, father’s first wife, March 12th and endowments the 13th of December 1877. 

Thomas C. Miles married Frances Anne Pulsipher in the St. George Temple March 17th 1878.  We moved to Price April 3rd working as a cooperative company.  Gustavus and Samuel worked for a season at their trades in St. George.  I wrote to New Haven, Connecticut where I learned from Mr. Charles Peterson, whose father was connected with the family, much of the history of the family mostly taken from the Biography of the Trowbridge record.  Richard Miles settled in Milford near New Haven 1639 and moved to New Haven in 1640. 

1879 - Price City - This is New Year’s Day Wednesday Morning.  I feel very thankful to my Heavenly Father for his goodness to me.  I have been laboring now in this southern land 16 years.  Much of my time has been spent on this farm having worked here in all the cooperative companies and United Order during the last 5 years and the year past in connection with my sons in a family union of labor and cotton. 

      My experience in working with my brethren has been a profitable one to me and although in our weakness we have not been able to arrive at the high standard, I feel it has been a great blessing to those desiring to carry out the requirements of the Lord through his servant Brigham.  The labors of myself and sons at present consists in building a house here on the farm. 

      We have been much blessed thus far in our labors having raised a good crop the year past although the fruitfulness of the land the past year has not been so great as in some years past.

I was baptized in the St. George Temple February 25 for 30 of the descendants of Richard Miles and those connected with the family by marriage.  Commenced receiving endowments on the 26th  for those baptized.  I received an appointment as home Missionary in connection with D. D. Mc Arthur and William H. Branch Jr.  We visited our western settlements as far as Panaca, Nevada, and held 8 meetings in the different settlements.  We had a good time, being gone 9 days and returned March 28th.  Price was organized as a Ward with Robert Gardner Bishop on January 28.  I was appointed Ward Clerk, also a teacher in the Ward January 23rd.

I was fortunate in getting names of my ancestors from Connecticut through Charles Peterson of New Haven whose mother was a Miles.  June 20th I started on a missionary tour up the river in then Kane County with Henry Heriman, Harrison Burgess, D. D. Mc Arthur, was gone 5 days and held 5 meetings.

On the 27th of June received endowments for one of the ancestors of the Prophet Joseph.  115 persons went through on that day for the Smith family.


It is a season of drought in this Territory.  The Rio Virgin River ceased flowing at Price for the first time since we have been here on June  6 and 7, but a damp spell coming on the water increased.  The river dried again 12 and 13th.  Put up the walls of a house at Price in September.  September 21st  started to Salt Lake City to attend to land entry being agent for others in the entry with my own land failing to receive patent, found fraud in the agent and had to make a new application.  Attended the Semi-annual Conference and brought my wife home who had been up on a visit in July.  Had a good time visiting relatives and we arrived home all well October 27th, Father Colborn coming with us.  In October, Thomas and wife came here to join us in our family labor union, so I have all my family now working in our union.  I have learned of a cousin Stephen Rowe and wife who live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.  We have raised only moderate crops this season but are comfortable and feel blessed.  Not having room for all the family to winter in Price, Gustavus, Samuel, Thomas and their families moved to St. George.  In the latter part of December, snow fell covering the ground 9 inches, weather cold for this land.

1880 - January - I again commenced working the temple for my dead relatives.  I received second anointings for my father, my wife also for his two wives January 20 and 21st.  Myself and wife were baptized in the temple for the Simonds family as recorded in our family Bible.  John T. Miles was baptized January 27th for my Grandfather Cornwell Marks and my brothers Alphonso Edwin, James Rowe, and Joel Simonds.  These brothers, except James Rowe, had been members of the church but did not gather with the saints here in Utah.  My grandmother Sarah Goodrich Marks was a member of the church.

January 29th I was sealed to my father and mother.  Also my brothers and sister Eliza (dead) were sealed to father and their mother, Sarah Simonds Miles.

My father, grandfather and father’s sisters, Grandfather Marks and Grandmother Marks and Grandmother Hannah Osborn Miles were adopted to President Brigham Young.  My Grandmother Marks and sister Elisa being sealed to President Young, Cornwell Marks not being a member of the Church.  Thomas and wife went back to their former home in Sink Valley, Kane County, to live.  (This was a practice at that time, but has been discontinued long ago, and people are sealed to natural parents, members or not.)
                                                                      
     We moved into our new house in Price early in May.  Gustavus moved down from St. George at the same time.   We are going on with our farming at Price.

I took a missionary trip starting on the 21st of August to Panaca, Nevada.  Held meetings in Pine Valley, Pinto, the Meadows, Hebron, Clover Valley, and Panaca, was gone 12 days.  Those appointed to go with me not responding to the call, I started alone going thus as far as Hebron where Bishop Thomas Terry and wife joined me to Panaca, had very enjoyable time.

Samuel decided to work for himself in St. George.  We gave him a share of the property, my old home in St. George.  Gustavus’ child Haden C. died August 19th.  We have spent the year farming, freighting and wood hauling.  Our crops have been tolerable better than last year.  Father Colborn came down to spend the winter.  Gustavus moved to St. George to winter.  I taught the Price School through the winter.  We have baptized to date, January 12, 1881, for 171 of the Massachusetts Miles family and 105 of the Connecticut family.  I have received 55 endowments.  I try to work for our dead whenever I can.

1881 - We had a New Year’s dinner, all the family being present including Thomas who has come down to work for a short time.  We had a family meeting at which I gave some counsel for the good of my family.  A good impression seemed to be made.  Father Colborn spoke.  He wished all the family to forgive him for anything he had done to hurt their feelings.  Finished my school March 4th.  On the 5th of March I attended a meeting of the brethren of the Priesthood in the temple to the number of 50 to remember our enemies by washing of feet and prayer.  This being a time when much trouble was brought upon those in plural marriage.  

A revelation given to Wilford Woodruff in the wilderness of Arizona was read, he was present in the Temple but sick.  President McAllister led in the ceremonies.  Father Colborn started home in February. 

     This is where his private journal ends.  He lived 29 years more.  Some of those years is in the short history written by his daughter Sarah.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!