141. Ruth Allen's school teaching in Enterprise and Santa Clara before her marriage, St. George after. (Some one-room schools, up to 8 grades)

School Teaching (from her journal)

     September 1928 found me in Enterprise (about 35 miles north of St. George -- small town)  teaching 4th grade for $80 a month--8 months a year, $640 a year.  I found to my surprise there was a lot I didn't know.  That year was presidential election year.  School was dismissed ½ day for the teachers to go vote.  I was 20.  The age for voting then was 21, so I had to stay at school and teach--the only teacher in the building.  That didn't help my popularity with the kids that day.

     It was an extremely cold winter that year.  Roads in and out of Enterprise were closed.  Phone lines were down and mail didn't get through for 3 weeks.  That was during the great depression.  Some children came to school that year with shoes, shirt and pants on, no socks, no underwear, no coat.  The next 2 years I taught a combination of 5-6 grades.  I learned to love Enterprise and Enterprise people.


     The next 3 years were spent in Santa Clara teaching 4-5 and 6th grades.  Here again I loved the town and the people.  They were a sturdy hard working set of Swiss people.  Some of the older ones, -- the grandpas and grandmas--were Swiss born.  How I did love to see them in their native costumes, doing Swiss dances and singing in the native tongue and that Swiss yodeling!  If it could have sounded better in the Alps, I'd like to hear it.  Clara Graff, J. Claude Frei, and I were the only 3 teachers.  They became life long friends.  I am still Aunt Ruth to Clara's kids and she, Aunt Clara to mine.  (Clara lived to be 106 years old).

     It seemed that Santa Clara had an over-abundance of boys.  One year I had 28 boys and 2 girls in my class.  I loved these boys but believe me they were full of zip zam zoo.  One morning early they came to me and told me they'd tell me a secret if I'd promise not to tell.  I promised, and they proceeded to tell me of stealing ice cream from the Relief Society Social the night before.  (The moral to that story is be very careful about such a promise to a child.  But I had promised and knew I had to keep it.)  But oh, how I felt when J. Claude (the principal) came to me and asked me to "keep your ear to the ground--we think it's kids in your room."   A few days went by and I got sicker--knowing I had lost them if I  "told" and knowing the consequences if they got away with it, and no amount of my talking with them inspired them to confess.  

     One morning they came with, "Yes, you told didn't you?"  They didn't believe me when I said, "No, but you know I should have."  My! what a day I had.  How onery they were that day!  Then the next day it was, "Well, we found out you didn't tell.  It's a damn good thing for you, you didn't!"  And it was--the day before had shown me that.  But since then when I've been asked to keep a secret I say, "Yes, if it's lawful!” All 28 of those boys were in World War II when it came along. 
                                                                                   
     Hell and Damn were a part of their vocabulary used not in a disrespectful way, but just to express the emphasis they needed.     This same year--still deep depression--the teachers taught for 6 weeks free, and then school was let out in March because of no funds.  We usually went to Veyo pool for the last day of school each year, but it was cold and rainy so Mr. Frei told them the last Thursday that we'd have to have a school house party this year.  What disappointment! 
                                                                                    
    A few of the boys came to me after school and the spokesman said, "I don't care, I bet we'll go anyway.  Two or three of us prayed last night and every "d" one of us is going to tonight and by "H" you just wait and see!"  The next morning was glorious--as each child came to school he'd send them home to change clothes and get their lunch.  a few boys from my room came all prepared the first time.  What a happy bunch of kids boarded the bus that day.  One sided up to me and whispered, "See, what did we tell you?  The Lord's not such a ------------ old guy after all!"

     Blasphemy?  No!  Just a boy's way of expressing his faith in prayer.  While I don't uphold such language, yet I believe our Heavenly Father heard--understood, and lovingly answered their prayers.  Several missionaries--bishops, stake presidents, doctors, lawyers, teachers and other fine men came from that group.  If we could see ahead a few years it would be easier to face the onery-ness of kids, and youths who know so much and are sure you are so "dumb."

     I was married at Christmas, 1933, and honestly thought I’d never teach another day.  But circumstances alter our plans.  When Vina Ruth was 2, I went to Central to teach (all 8 grades) because of Pratt’s ill health.  Two years at home, during which time Mavis was born, and I was at Gunlock (again teaching all 8 grades.)  We enjoyed our stay in each town and made many life long friends. Then there was another year at Santa Clara – several at St. George teaching 3rd grade; one in Salt Lake City while I was working toward my degree, and then back to St. George where I retired after teaching 40 years.  I still, however, at age 72 am doing substitute work.  It gives me a lonesome feeling to look forward to when I’ll never go again – but because of my hearing loss, I know it’s coming.
 
     During my 40 teaching years, I have met, worked with, and learned to love, some of the finest educators that ever entered a schoolroom.  Top of the list would probably be Vernon Worthen – my principal for many years, and Emily Foremaster, whom I taught next door to for years and who is one of the most cheerful people I know. (The local city park is named after Vernon Worthen)  There have been many others (I should mention my neighbor Lorna Bruhn), too many to mention.

     Even in my substituting I have become close friends with those whom I have worked for and with.  I have had differences of opinions with some but I believe I can say, and say honestly, that I have never worked with anyone in school, Church, or anywhere else, that I have hard feelings toward – or they toward me as far as I know.  It’s a wonderful thing to live in harmony with those you live near and work closely with.  To live in peace and harmony and friendship with your neighbors also is something that brings peace of mind, contentment and happiness.  I experience this feeling of security.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!