146. Ruth's thoughts about life, Priesthood blessings, Premonitions, honors given to her.

This may seem a bit long, and can be read in more than one sitting.  I've put together several subjects which were too short by themselves.

My mother Ruth wrote about the major events in her life, and these always included her parents and/or husband and children.  She was very involved when my dear sister Vina had a serious operation.  This is what she wrote:

Vina’s Operation, 1981

     In December, 1981, Vina was working at Scholzen’s.  After Christmas she had a very serious operation.  Somehow her intestines got a knot tied in them.  The doctors tried for days to avoid an operation, but when he did decide, he operated at 2 A.M. because he was too concerned to wait till morning.  Even after the operation it seemed complications might cause more serious problems.

     For 10 days or longer she was fed intravenously and was not even allowed a sip of water.  During this time the doctor said WALK!  So every two hours we walked.   I went along to carry all the various tubes she had attached to her.  How sore her throat was from the big tube she had going from her nose to her stomach, and what a happy time it was when it was taken out.  She had been told that if she got nauseated, after drinking a little liquid, it would have to be put back in.  She sipped water, and did get to feeling sick, and said, “Oh, Mom, I’m going to vomit.”  She grabbed my hands and started to pray.  In all my life I’ve never heard anyone plead with the Lord as Vina did at that time.  I have never seen more faith exhibited.  In illness when we have time, we should call Priesthood members.  But when there’s not time, as there wasn’t then, the Lord is close and quick to come to our aid.

     Vina and I will have no doubt of this as long as we live.  None of us exercise our faith half enough in our every day walk of life.  We need faith in our own mental powers, and strength and faith that when our strength is gone, after we’ve done all we can on our own, that we can “call down the powers of heaven.”

     Life is a struggle.  It’s meant to be.  (Along with a lot of happiness, too.)  We all have struggles one way or another.  It’s the way we face these struggles that lets us become better acquainted with ourselves.  Sometimes we fail, and by so doing we better learn how to face the next trial.

     To anyone who reads this I want to say – I too, have failed many times – I too, have been weak.  I too, have known disappointment and discouragements.  I too, have struggled when it seemed hardly worthwhile to face life and go on.  It has taken me a life time to get this firm conviction that I feel I now have, and I say to you all – don’t give up.  The past is to learn from, not to live in.  Remember the good times, the happy moments, and what made them good and happy.  Renew your resolves for the future and face it unafraid.  Commit yourself to a better future.  Keep your commitment, and forgive yourself for your mistakes, after you’ve asked forgiveness from anyone that it is necessary to ask.  This of course, includes Heavenly Father.  I KNOW peace of mind comes, REAL peace – comes this way, and this way only.  Fight discouragement.  It is a tool of the devil.

     Weaknesses and strengths.  We all have them both, and we’ll see in others what we look for.

Ruth always wanted to travel.  Her dream vacation was to go to Hawaii.  Mavis was able to take her, and these are her notes about the trip.  (At one time she had applied to be an exchange teacher in Hawaii.  But when the opportunity came, for some reason my Dad didn't want to go -- as I've heard.  I'm not sure really, but they didn't go at that time.)

     Ruth and Mavis’ Trip to Hawaii

       Mavis got a deal through in 1985, and took me to Hawaii as a Christmas present in December 1985.  It was a lovely trip, my one and only airplane ride.  Mavis has a detailed journal written about the trip from day to day, but this will include just a few words about it.   I hope some of you are called on a mission there sometime.  I’ll advise any going to Hawaii to take less clothes and more money.  Things there are all awfully expensive, like milk at $1.25 a quart when we were there.  (I don’t know how much it was here at that time, probably only half that much or less.)

     4:00 A.M. December 14, 1985.  We are ready to leave the house.  Mavis said, “Somebody has to go to Hawaii, and it might as well be us!”  If it weren’t for waking up Bud I’d get even with Vina for calling me at 2 A.M. once long ago, but I have nothing against Bud so I’ll restrain.  We breathed heavy and David awoke.  An A bomb won’t wake Derrek.  I brought some extra money.  Mavis won’t let me take it.  I hope we don’t have to steal pineapples from a field.

     7:45: Well, we are in the air going smooth.  Looking down on the mountains it looks like little sand piles covered with snow.  Maybe going over the ocean it will be more exciting.  We can hear the engine but can’t feel the plane move.  The sun is just coming up.  What a picture of sunlight and shadows.  So much like life.  The sun shines brilliant on the high peaks.  The shadows and gray spots are when we are down.  We need to climb up to hit the bright spots and see clearly.  Never make a decision when you are feeling down.  Not at least unless it is one to get up and climb higher.

     8 A.M.  The mountain ranges look like long strips of white clouds with ribbons (I suppose rivers) in between.  Some of the passengers are curled up trying to sleep.  How like life – so often we pass the beautiful parts of life lightly, hardly taking the effort to see and feel the beauty all around us.



     8:20: Just had orange juice and a bun.  Not as good as Cleo’s fresh cinnamon rolls, or perhaps I just hated to take my eyes from the window long enough to eat.


     No wonder we “shouted for joy” in the pre-mortal estate to think a world would be organized.  There must have been millions on the crew under our Savior to accomplish it all, and how they must have felt to look down upon it when God pronounced it “good”.

     Somebody wrote:

     Great wide, beautiful wonderful world,

     With the wonderful water around you curled
     With wonderful trees upon your breast
     World, you are beautifully dressed.

   Last page: Sat. 6 A.M.  Up, packed, went through the routine of getting to the airport – flew to Honolulu – again went through the hassle of getting to and boarding the plane for home.

     The plane ride appears to be a routine one with no excitement.  YES, WE’LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS, after the most exciting, interesting and thrilling week of my life!

                  FAITH PROMOTING EXPERIENCES I’VE HAD

     I have already mentioned my Patriarchal Blessing and Mother’s administration at the time she was in a wreck and the only survivor.  These were both very faith promoting to me. Without the power of the Priesthood I doubt that Mother would have survived the extreme shock she was in at the time of the before mentioned wreck.  (See entry # 140) 

     Now after 40 years teaching I can see so plainly how Brother Hatch who gave me my blessing was guided to advise me of what my life’s work should be.   In her Patriarchal Blessing it states: 

"You have power among the young and rising generation for your activities along the line of teaching or counseling.  You will receive great blessings."   (Ruth originally wanted to become a nurse, but they didn't have money to let her go away to nursing school, but she could go to Dixie College and become a teacher while living at home.)  


December 31, 1980, 8 A.M.: It has been quite a task for me to write my history.  (Ruth was 72 years old at that time). I’m sure I never would have done it if it hadn’t been stressed so by our Prophet Heber C. Kimball.  I have tried, especially in my later years to follow the advice and instructions of our leaders.  Experience has taught me that is the surest and quickest way to obtain peace and happiness in this life.  I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are inspired in their leadership, and so I have assigned myself the task of finishing my history during this Christmas holiday, preferably by New Year’s Eve, which is tonight.  I don’t know that I’ll make it by tonight as I’m going to spend most of the day up at Extraction.  I find it very difficult to come home and start writing when I’m tired after writing up there all day.  Sometimes my arm, shoulder and neck just won’t take it.

     My life has pretty much been one of activity and I still find I’d much rather be doing things than writing about my activities, although I realize I’ve been greatly blessed with faith-promoting experiences that should be told.

     I know I have had my prayers answered many times, not so much in astonishing ways as in just quiet natural consequences that have touch my soul with a sure knowledge that my prayer was heard, that my Heavenly Father cares and is willing to help.  I confess other times I have prayed, for so long for other blessings that just haven’t materialized.  Perhaps because of my lack of faith – my lack of effort (or the lack of effort on someone else) or perhaps it is God’s way of saying, “This blessing is not for your best good at this time.” 

 Anyway, if man by his knowledge can be heard from the moon (and I’ve seen this demonstrated--in 1969), surely God in His great wisdom is capable of not only knowing when we pray and what we pray for, but knows our very thoughts, uttered or unexpressed.  To all who may ever read this I say – The quickest and surest way to inner peace is through secret prayer and quiet meditation, where and when you feel absolutely alone with your Heavenly Father.  And the more often you attempt to give your thoughts and attention to Him and the more child-like faith you can muster, the quicker and more complete your peace of mind and understanding will come.  I know – I’ve tried it and it works.

    We, as a family, have had many experiences with faith and particularly administration.  Although Pratt didn’t have faith to cure himself, his faith and the power of the Priesthood was exhibited often in our home.  I’ll just mention a few.

     Pal had been very ill when about 2 years old with what they termed then as Summer Complaint.  Many babies in town were ill and 2 or 3 had died.  Dr. Reichman when he came a few weeks later said, “Ruth your little Pal was the sickest baby in town.  I don’t know why she survived.”  We did.

 She had been unconscious for days, only to come to once in a while when the pain would be so intense.  Pratt administered to her and a few minutes later she opened her eyes, saw Pratt take a shirt off a hanger, drop it and get another one.  She laughed a faint little laugh and said, “Oh, funny daddy.”  When he rushed over to her to hold her close, she said, “I want my new shoes.”  Pratt had taken her uptown just before she took sick and bought her some shoes she wanted – More expensive than I would have bought.  She hugged the shoes and went back to sleep.  She was on the sure road to recovery.

     (Well, it’s 2 P.M. January 1, 1981)  – I’ll try again to continue.  Delsy’s second boy whom she plans to name Nicholas Pratt was born about 9:30 this A.M.  I didn’t sleep much last night waiting to hear the good word. 



    Above is a photo of Nicholas Pratt Kramer, Delsy's son, born January 1, 1981.  He has been the only descendant with the name of "Pratt".


 He took a long time putting in his appearance but according to “Grandma Pal” he’s worth all he cost, and will probably be one of the world’s outstanding citizens.

     Now to go on.  Vina Ruth had complications after the red measles.  (The disease is almost a thing of the past now that a vaccine has been developed for it which was still not in use then.)  The worst part of the disease was the after effects which so often attacked some organ of the body, most likely ears and/or eyes.  Many people were left permanently blind or deaf.  It affected Vina’s ears.  For weeks we followed doctor’s instructions faithfully but she got worse and worse.  She looked like a walking skeleton.  One day after we had fasted and Pratt administered to her, he got up and said, “We are going to take her to Provo to the Clark Clinic.”  We hadn’t even thought of this before.  I know he was inspired.  Within an hour or two we had made a bed in the back of the car for her and were on our way.

      We stayed with Aunt Amanda for a week and took her to the clinic every day for radium treatments (at least I think that’s what it was) in her ear.  In one week we returned with a cured child and she was already beginning to gain back some of the weight she had lost.  I remember the treatments were $25 each, equivalent to from $100 to $150 at least today, (1980) No we didn’t have insurance, but we do have a girl with good hearing.  Not long after this we had a blind piano player in our home.  The girls asked how he went blind.  He told quite a story of himself – the measles and blindness.

     Also about the measles:  Mavis had been sick for about 3 weeks but somehow couldn’t break out.  We’d followed doctor’s instructions of hot baths, etc. to no avail.  One night her fever went to 106 and I woke up Pratt to come quickly.  Before he took his hands off her head, she had broken out in a sweat, her fever went down and by morning she was a mass of measles.  Coincidence?  Some would say so, but I’m willing to give credit where credit is due.

     One more administration.  This one on me.  I surely do have terrible times with my back.  I’d have to have help to get up or down, to dress or undress, get in or out of bed, etc.  One unusually painful night Pratt helped me get in bed and then blessed me.  I slept soundly.  In the A.M. he came in to help me get up.  I still didn’t have a sign of pain nor did I have again for a long time.  I never have had as bad a time since as I did before.  Of course I may have moved in my sleep in such a way as to relieve the pressure.  Something unusual happened while I slept.  I don’t know what, but I do know it was after a very humble and sincere blessing of the Priesthood.  “God moves in a mysterious way His wonders to perform.”  This I know!

Brother Worthen’s Blessing:

     Vernon Worthen’s (the principal of her school) father was the Patriarch.  Pratt was in Salt Lake City in the Veteran’s Hospital.  I was home much concerned.  I went to Brother Worthen for a comforting blessing.  Among other things, he told me I was worrying too much about finances.  That if we’d pay a full tithing on no matter how little we had, that “You or your children will never want for the necessities of life.”  This was proven true.  We’ve never missed paying tithing and we’ve never been broke.  We’ve had to curtail our wants at times but never our needs.  (Of course he didn’t tell me that I too would have to work and work hard to supply those wants, but even the work has proved to be a blessing in more ways than just financially.)

Premonitions:

     When I had 3 small children and Pratt was ill, I knew – I had a very definite feeling that I was going to be asked to be President of the Primary.  I told Pratt about it and he jokingly said, “Huh – There’s no conceit in our family is there?  Ruth I’ve never heard of such a thing as them putting in a woman with three as young as ours.  Why they’re not even old enough to go to Primary.”  Nevertheless, I told him I knew I’d be asked and wanted his opinion as to whether I should accept.  He said, “I don’t think they’ll ask you but if they do, suit yourself if you think you can handle it.”

     It was about a week before I was asked.  By then I was able to tell him (Andrew McArthur was Bishop)  Yes, I would, and also tell him just who I wanted as counselors, and even new teachers.

     Years later, even after Pratt’s death and I was taking a genealogy class from Brother Thompson, he told us of the new Extraction Program and the Pilot Program for St. George.  He said some of the plans had not materialized yet.  As he talked, a feeling came over me and I knew I would be part of this program.  I was concerned however, for after Pratt died (and before as much as I could), I had either been to Mavis’ with the boys or had them here for at least part of each summer.  So I was torn with the thought when they would ask me (I never thought if they as me, but only when) – Shall I accept or shall I decline, to be with the boys.  (See  Entry # 30, in December 2013.)

Mother received some special honors, and below tells some about them.




             The following was part of a biography they wrote about her.


Also, in an issue of the St. George Magazine, one of her former students wrote an extensive article about his memories of when he was in her 3rd grade class.  Jon Fish has been a well known writer.  The article tells of when his father died at a young age, and they moved to St. George so his mother could go to college and prepare to support the family.  He came into her class, a frightened and depressed little boy.  Perhaps someday I'll write the whole article out and put in this blog.  But the thing that really amused Ruth, (Mom) was the last paragraph.  Apparently he hadn't checked and believed her to have passed away.  She was very much alive -- 86 years old, and lived almost another 5 years.  We did contact Jon Fish, and they talked over the phone!





The whole article was written in very fine print.  The final paragraph is here:






I probably will have one more article about Mother, as tomorrow, May 10, 2014, she would have reached 106 years!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!                                                                          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!