207. My testimony, and some family news, and stories! All blessings!

Today, I decided to write a few personal things, about my life, and lives of close family members.  I truly respect and admire all you converts who have had the faith and courage to accept the Gospel and be the pioneer in your own family.  I happen to come from early LDS pioneers, and 19 of either my or my husband's ancestors personally knew the Prophet Joseph Smith.  They gave up family wealth, and much more to follow the truth.  I am eternally grateful to each of them, and your posterity (new converts) will be to you.  Yes, there are some other descendants of the same ancestors who don't value the heritage they were born with, and that makes me very sad.  I continue to pray that my own posterity will value the testimonies which have come down from their grand fathers and mothers. 

The top picture is of my paternal grandmother whom I was named after, and the one below is of my great grandfather who was in the Zion's Camp group.


 I want to go on record saying that I KNOW THIS GOSPEL IS THE TRUE AND LIVING CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST, AND HAS THE PRIESTHOOD THAT HAS COME DOWN THROUGH THE AGES.  ADAM, MOSES, ABRAHAM, AND JESUS HIMSELF HAD THE SAME PRIESTHOOD.  AREN'T WE BLESSED ! ! !  Part of the legacy I hope to leave is my testimony, and also the stories of our ancestors who suffered so much, but felt so blessed to have found the TRUTH!  They crossed the plains, and helped settle many of the cities in this area.  If you check the labels and read the stories of our ancestors -- the Eckmans, Miles, Allens, Daytons, Colborns, Ristes, Arterburys, Butlers, Skeens, Wilsons, and others, you will read stories of courage, strength and amazing fortitude!

We are so grateful and excited for 2 of our grandchildren now serving missions -- a grandson in Taichung, Taiwan, and a granddaughter in Irvine, California missions.
The girl on the left is our missionary granddaughter, Skye, at a baptism in Irvine, California.

 And we are SO EXCITED for another grandson (the younger brother of the one in Taiwan) whose mission farewell is this Sunday, August 10th, 2014.
In this photo, Ben on the left is in Taiwan, and Jake on the right will go to Indonesia.

 He will enter the Provo MTC on Wednesday August 13th to go to Indonesia, Jakarta.  I noticed today on my blog that someone from Indonesia had read 2 entries.  Watch for Elder Lieske!  He will arrive in the middle of October, and you will love him!  Both now serving absolutely love their missions, and Elder Lieske is so excited to go!

This is Sam, the older brother of the 2 missionaries mentioned above.  He returned home from the California Redlands Mission.  He had begun in the San Bernardino Mission, and became an Assistant to the Pres. and then was transferred to the Redlands Mission when it opened in July of 2013, and was an Assistant there also.  He is now attending college here.

 I have mentioned, briefly before, about the problems I have had that started around April 1st this year -- in which I have had gastritis, and during some of April, May and June, I had nausea for several hours each day.  I have been to a doctor several times for that, and finally have medicine regulated, so I feel almost normal!  As a warning to any of you readers, the gastritis was probably caused by my taking too much ibuprofen, and aspirin, and at times excedrin.  They really irritate the stomach.  I thought that as long as I took them with food I was fine, but both the doctor and a nurse friend told me that they still do harm to the stomach. 

But I also have had another problem -- my right arm was sore above the elbow for about that same time.  The doctor have me some cortisone shots, which didn't help, and finally ordered an MRI on my right shoulder.  It showed that I have what is called a "full-thickness tear involving the anterior fibers of the supraspinatus tendon, and chronic tendinopathy."  What that basically means is that a tendon has become totally separated from my shoulder bone, and needs to be fixed in an operation, as it won't heal by itself.

So I will have rotator cuff shoulder surgery on Monday August 25th.  It is same day surgery, and I will come home that day, but have my arm in a sling for 3 or 4 weeks, I guess.  The timing is good, because our St. George Temple, wherein my husband Wayne does an 8 hour shift on Monday mornings, and a 6 hour shift on Wednesday mornings, -- the Temple will be closed for 4 weeks starting August 23rd.  He will be able to help me as much as an almost 84 year old can do!  He really does quite well for his age!

All of the above have really made me think about life, and our vulnerability to ills and problems.  For most of my life I have played the piano, in many places and for many soloists and musical groups.  I also have taught piano lessons many years.  Last Friday night I went to a wonderful musical program in the Tabernacle here in St. George.  Performing were several gifted soloists whom I have accompanied over the years.  It brought tears to my eyes, to think of these wonderful young talented people, and realizing that my years of usefulness as a pianist are probably not very much in the future.  There was a wonderfully gifted pianist who accompanied some of them, and it just brought to my attention how gifted and talented the younger generation are!  It seems they are more talented at younger ages, and have more opportunities to be trained and perform, than occurred when I was younger.  As I now realize that on October 6th I will turn 80, I can hardly believe it!  It seems like yesterday we were having an 80th birthday celebration for my own dear mother.  You'll really enjoy reading her poetry in blog #95, and about her life, and the life of my father, Orson Pratt Miles -- and many of their ancestors.  WONDERFUL PEOPLE!
My dear parents, Ruth and Orson Pratt Miles

The world is hastening the Lord's work!  The young people being born have unlimited abilities and talents!  Here in St. George, there are so many amazing teachers, and opportunities to perform.  Wayne and I absolutely love live theater, and here we have 3 local high schools, Dixie State University, The St. George Musical Theater, Tuacahn Outdoor Theater, and 2 or 3 smaller private performing groups who offer several different productions every year.  Many are open to the public to audition for their many productions.  
This is the beautiful town we are blessed to live in.  The surrounding hills are beautiful red sandstone, and you can see the steeple to the right of the Temple where my grandfather helped carve the red sandstone bricks.  Both my grandfather William Gustavus Miles and greatgrandfather Samuel Miles (also in the Mormon Battalion) helped build the Temple also. 

It is my hope and prayer for all of you, that you will develop your talents -- including spirituality, and any other subjects you enjoy and show promise in.  Life is to be LIVED!  Today my husband and I spend a lot of our time doing indexing, and writing to our missionaries, and hopefully visiting family when we can. 

 MAY THE LORD'S CHOICEST BLESSINGS BE WILL ALL WHO READ THIS!  

I would love to hear from any of you who read my blog entries!  you can either comment, or write to me personally at:  paralee.eckman@gmail.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!