269. Reminiscing about my Dixie College Days, during our Homecoming Week!

Today, I'm going to reminisce, and think about college days!  When I was going to college, in the 1950's, in St. George, the college was in what used to be called the Leisure Services building, but now where they house the Children's Museum.
 This is a picture of what was Dixie College when I went.  I graduated from high school in 1952, and received my Associate Degree in 1954 there.  This beautiful, solid old building was built and opened as Dixie College in 1911.  My father was a student in the first class.  Over the years it has changed a lot as far as the grounds are concerned.  The inside has been renovated as well -- but the main structure is the same.


 This is a picture of me in college.  I loved having long hair, but in recent years I have kept it short.  During college, I had so many interesting and fun experiences.  My favorite teacher was A. Karl Larsen, who taught history.  He made every class so interesting, and could quote from Shakespeare or any other historic figure.  

Today is part of Homecoming at Dixie State University now.  When I went it was Dixie College, and you could only get a 2 year degree.  In the last 20 or so years it first started offering some 4 year degrees, and now offers many.  Last February we became a University, and will soon begin offering Master's Degrees.  Dixie State University is now larger than BYU was when I went there in 1954.  Just yesterday they had a special ceremony for a new president of the college.  Things are changing fast!

I am so grateful today that my right arm is getting so much better, and I can now play the piano again for musical numbers.  Today in the Alumni Assembly I played for Jaden Cox as he played the fiddle number "Orange Blossom Special" in which he makes his violin sound like a train track, a cow, and a siren on an ambulance.  They loved it!

Tonight Jaden and I will play Broadway songs for about half an hour during the Alumni Dinner and I will play the School Song and "Just For Now".  Just a few weeks ago, my arm was in a sling, and I couldn't even brush my teeth or eat with my right hand!  I am so grateful!  I have been doing quite painful physical therapy with my right arm, but it has been worth it!  About 3 more weeks of physical therapy, and I'll be done!  


I was second from the left when I was an attendant to the D Day Queen in my second year of college.  Willa Brooks (now Derrick) who was the D Day Queen then tonight with her husband will be honored as "Distinguished Alumni" of Dixie.  Sadly, 4 of those girls have passed away.


 The beautiful Tabernacle in the middle of town was the scene of many concerts, and was our Church meeting house for awhile when I was a teenager.  My grandfather William Gustavus Miles was a stone cutter for both this Tabernacle and the Dixie College building above.




The beautiful St. George Temple was where Wayne and I were married on September 24, 1955.  My grandfather and great grandfather also helped build the Temple.  I remember once when I was young that the white stucco was stripped off, and a new white layer was put on.  The Temple was originally built of the same red sandstone the Tabernacle above was made of, but the white stucco covered it up.  It was strange to see the Temple in the red sandstone when they stripped the stucco off to replace it!

 This was one of my photos in a Dixie College yearbook.  I won't write more now, as I need to get ready to go to the Alumni Banquet!  But today I have already seen many of the dear people I went to college with, those who are still alive!  And we all have turned 80 this year!  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!