394. Why I want you to stay: A letter from a Mormon, by Kayla Lemmon. Great blog!

Dear Friends, this is such a lovely and faith-promoting blog from Kayla Lemmon, and I'd like to repost it for you.  Tonight my husband is still in the hospital, and has a very sore arm where they put in a permanent port for kidney dialysis.  If you read this, please include Wayne D Eckman in your prayers.  Thanks so much!


New post on all our lemmony things



Why I want you to stay: A letter from a Mormon

by Kayla Lemmon
I think the hardest business in the world is that of loving someone.
But it's inevitable. From the moment we're born we attach to someone like a plant's roots wander for water, wrapping ourselves around laughter and friendship and similarities and bonds. People are everything to us.
And how ironic that because of that we experience the greatest joys--and the greatest pain.
with grandbabies
During the time that I've kept this blog I've seen stories that have changed me and I've made friends from worlds away who have uplifted me. And I've also seen my share of doubts, skepticism, even people struggling with their faith or the reason they're even alive. I've loved people I don't even know and I've teared up over those who have wandered away from a God they once loved. And that was the price of having this blog--of simply being human in general.
So you can say that this letter to you, whoever you are, is a long time coming. I've had the title scratched down for a while, almost scared to write it until some members of my own family began the back-stepping, the I-don't-know-if-this-church-is-for-me journey.
All I want you to really know is that I want you to stay. Even if we don't know each other at all, even if this is your first time reading my blog and even if you'll never be back to it--I just want you to know that.
And it's not for reasons you might think.
members at church
While I was on my way to Denver a few weeks ago I was boarding my plane when I saw my stake president sitting a few rows ahead of my seat. We waved and smiled and the whole "Wow it's a small world" conversation ensued for a minute or two. Then we landed, spent four days with family, and life went on. But as we were headed back to Seattle, lo and behold there he was again on our same plane. But this time, he was sitting right next to us.
I didn't tell my husband this, but I knew exactly why he was there.
After a bit of small talk he turned more serious.
He asked what our opinions were on how to best convey the difference between the culture and the gospel for members. How do we tell them that the gospel is EVERYTHING--that the Savior lived and died for all of us--that the gospel was restored through Joseph Smith for those of us in THIS time who need that light to get back. How do we explain that?
joseph
I was embarrassed to tell him I don't know. That I'm struggling with seeing people I love doubt something they once believed. It hurts me to see the Savior fade away into some kind of illusion. And I have nothing to help them. I have no idea what to do!
That's when he turned to Enos 1:9-10 and I realized that the struggle to have those we love remember God extended way back, long before Christ.
"Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.
And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again, saying: I will visit thy brethren according to their diligence in keeping my commandments."
"Don't give up on them," he finally told me before our plane landed. "They're worth it, aren't they?"
mom and ash
And that's why I write to you today.
It's not about me being right or having all the answers for you. Because I don't. It's not even about you having all the answers in this life. Because you won't. It's about you being worth the reward.
You are worth the wrestle because you are worth Heaven.
I remember, almost seven years ago now, learning about the Book of Mormon for the first time, seeing the temple for the first time, feeling the waters of the baptismal font for the first time--and although I didn't know it all, I knew one thing: It was all true. And that's how most of us begin. But then over time people offend us. Lessons can hurt us. Things become familiar and the stories not as exciting. Sacrament meeting becomes routine rather than a sacred ordinance and suddenly we go a week, two weeks, three weeks, without getting on our knees. We go a month or two without church.
And we start to wonder if it's true simply because we've stepped far enough away that everything begins to fade and blur in the distance we've created.
far from God
That will happen to almost all of us. There will be a day when we have to be converted again. But you are worth walking back.
Turning away is a statement that will only hurt yourself. Forgetting where you've come from and the journey the Savior took to pick you up out of that place will only plunge your further into the world where almost everyone else lives nowadays, immersed in things that just won't last.
Let's talk real here.
You don't like where you are. It's confusing there. It's sad. There are no real answers. But it usually feels safe. Safer than vulnerably putting your soul and heart on the line, safer than maybe not making it with the rest of your family. Safer than trying--only to fail. Right?
I get it.
But you are worth remembering why you came, no matter how long ago. You are worth the kingdom. You are the rightful heir.
I sometimes struggle with missionary work because I don't want people to think that I just want to be right. I don't want to seem "judgy" or pushy or God forbid, "holier than thou". And I struggle because more than anything, I just want those I love and those I don't even know to feel how it feels to have the comfort of the spirit when someone you love more than anything slips to the others side. I want you to feel how it feels to sincerely repent and feel entirely forgiven. I want you to know how it feels to see a prayer answered and to know exactly why it was. I want you to know how it feels to dress in white and see God in the faces of those who simply believe like you do with a faith that exceeds knowledge.
twirling skirt
I want you to get there with me.
And I will wrestle for you and plead for you and believe in you and cry for you. Jesus always tended to care for the 1 lost sheep out of the hundred, and that's our burden to continue.
Because I love you, whoever you are. You are beautiful. You are SO needed. You are worth it.
And if you don't hear it from anyone else, I want you to hear it from me.
I want you to stay.
Kayla Lemmon | April 14, 2015 at 11:35 am | Tags: book of mormon,christianityconversionfaithFamilyfriendsgospelLDSmissionary workmormonstruggletrials | Categories: Faith | URL:http://wp.me/p3OUup-13g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!