536. Are some of the very elect being deceived? 2 Blogs on the new Church LGBT Policy worth reading!

Are some of the elect being deceived right now?  I remember in the 1950's as a teenager, hearing that the day would come when many (or at least some) members would leave the Church.  That was quite a peaceful time in Church History, especially here in Utah, after the persecution of early Saints.  We wondered what could possibly cause that to happen! Jump forward to the last few years, and we can see how worldly opinions are seeping into the membership, and some people are feeling the Church should change for the times.  Absolutely not! 

 In the Prophet Joseph Smith's day, the Church was ridiculed, persecuted, and aligned on every side.   I had many faithful ancestors who endured that persecution, and came to Utah.  Many of their stories are on this blog.  If that is to be our lot also, let's stay faithful!  Those who fell away then, and those who do now, will simply lose out on many blessings.  They have not caught the vision that we are a "peculiar people", who follow God's laws, and not give in to the social climate of the day.  I am so grateful for Prophets who are inspired, and can "see into the future."  Of course they can!  The only way to stay safe spiritually, socially, and even temporally is to follow and trust the Prophets!  Pray for understanding, and in the meantime, have faith they can see the past, present, AND future!

I have chosen to post these following 2 posts, the first from Meridian Magazine, the the second from Kayla Lemmon.  I want to acknowledge who wrote them, but say that I totally agree with them, AND the prophets!  (I say Prophets, because our First Presidency AND the apostles are all prophets!)

I encourage you, when you have time, to read both of them entirely!


Late night internet addiction or working late man using laptop computer in the dark
After Amalickiah ascended to the throne of the Lamanites (through deceit and cunning and murder), he brought an army up to the land of Ammonihah to overpower this city of Nephites. It was a city that had been destroyed before and the invading Lamanite army approached with certainty that the ruined place would be easy prey. They assumed that they could “easily overpower and subject their brethren to the yoke of bondage, or slay and massacre them according to their pleasure.”
But as they came in sight of the city walls, they were surprised to see a place rebuilt and were “astonished exceedingly, because of the wisdom of the Nephites in preparing their places of security.” They hadn’t just secured the city, “they were prepared for them, in a manner which never had been known among the children of Lehi” (Alma 49).
The Nephites were ready for them.
This past week, a new policy change in the LDS Church began to circulate and social media erupted into frenzy and polluted my newsfeed with invading armies of negativity and conflict and disrespect and misinformation.
I was not ready for them.
I heard about the policy first from several headlines that were misleading and ultimately incorrect. Words like “banned” and “barred” were being used, as though the Church had permanently closed the doors of salvation to someone. Massive exclusion. I felt confused and overwhelmed and then I read the actual policy. And it was nothing like what they were saying.
Baptism, according to the doctrine of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, is not some entrance into a club or proof that you are included, it is a sacred covenant that an individual makes with God. It involves a lifetime of responsibility and accountability for keeping that covenant and the commandments.
We believe baptism is essential to salvation, but taking that step makes you answerable for any actions you take contrary to what you have promised. You are accountable in a different way for those actions than someone who takes those same actions without that knowledge or those promises to God.
A child of same-sex parents, who desires to be baptized, faces a lifetime of dissonance between family life and Church life. I personally saw it as compassionate that someone in that situation would be required to take a little time, truly invest and fully understand before making this covenant for which there will be both temporal difficulty and eternal consequences.
And that thought gave me peace and I assumed I would think no more about it.
Social media would not allow me to “think no more about it”.
I’d like to clarify that not every person that expressed some discomfort or need for elucidation on social media platforms seemed confrontational about it. I am in no way opposed to civil dialogue, but so little of what I found was civil.
I felt like I was being battered and bombarded by memes that defiled things that I hold sacred and statuses that regurgitated bad information and displayed ignorance and disdain for my beliefs. And I was surprised to find that the arrows actually managed to pierce the surface rather than just bouncing off.
It didn’t deserve my attention. It bothered me that it bothered me, and I couldn’t understand why.
One of the best parts of getting older has been gaining confidence and perspective. A few people in high school and some even in college, made me feel small, made me feel like what I had to say must not be worth much. There were times when I sat at a lunch table or attended a party where I immediately knew that no matter what I had to say or how well I was ready to say it, it wouldn’t be appreciated or even heard by those around me.
As I’m growing older and becoming more and more who I want to be, a little part of me thinks “if those people could see me now!” But seeing a newsfeed swamped with such contentious remarks (more often from bitter armchair critics than from anyone who is actually directly affected by the policy) that leave no room for discussion, brings me back to that feeling: “no matter what I have to say or how well I am ready to say it, it won’t be heard by these people.”
It is hard to have an unpopular opinion.
And I get the sense it’s only going to get harder.
I believe it will become increasingly unpopular to follow the prophets. So, how do we fortify our personal Ammonihah so that when invading armies come to tell us we are ignorant or bigoted or intolerant (leaving no room for the possibility that these policies are actually based on a sincerely held belief system and not just on a desire to exclude or oppress), we are not left feeling spiritually depleted?
“In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions…what is to be done?” (JSH 1:10). When Joseph Smith asked that question his conclusion was that he would either have to remain in darkness or ask of God. We are at the same juncture and we will continue to come to moments like these again and again.
We have to learn how to ask of God.
It was eye-opening to me to read various news stories about families that have decided to leave the Church over this. I feel sorry for their pain and for a choice that will take them away from the peace and the joy that I find in this Gospel, but I also feel astounded at certain attitudes that have been expressed surrounding their pronouncements.
I read one article that told of a boy who had heretofore been preparing to serve an LDS mission, but because of this new policy change, he and his mother would be leaving the Church instead. He had looked forward to the mission because he thought it would be a great opportunity to do some service and have a new experience and in light of the abrupt change in their lives, he was investigating spending two years in the Peace Corps instead.
An LDS mission is not the same thing as the Peace Corps. Bringing the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the enabling power of the Atonement into someone’s life is a life-altering gift that cannot just be cleanly replaced by some other form of community development.
Many have complained about the Church and the leadership and expressed their regret at an imminent parting of the ways because they still appreciate certain elements Mormonism.
They appreciate how Mormons can organize to create positive impact in their communities. They love that Mormons are service-oriented and industrious. They wanted their kids to grow up in an environment with a little of that influence.
Those things are true, but if you think that’s what the Church is or think that the Church is place to add “a little religion” to your life, then you’re missing the point.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is not a social club and it is not just a massive humanitarian aid organization. If it is true, then we are building the Kingdom of God on the earth. Being nice to your neighbors and watching out for your community are fruits of the Holy Spirit. Compassion and charity and discernment are the result of members striving to be like a Savior that they actually believe to be real and alive. It is a result of those individuals learning to run to Him and apply His atonement because there is no other way.
If it is true, then everything that we do should be focused around the central desire to follow Christ. And that desire should make us endlessly forgiving and accepting, even of those who desire to tear us down. If it is true, then the prophets and apostles that direct the Church are actually acting under the direction of and revelation from God, even if we don’t understand certain things. If it is true, then there are things that are right and things that are wrong and not just things that are well said.
If the Church is true, then ordinances like baptism are not just opportunities to be included, they are binding promises to strive to be like Christ and do what He has commanded even when it’s a struggle. If it’s true, then Jesus Christ can and will assuage the pains and frustrations and difficulties of this life and make up for the times when we had to wait for Him.
Sounds like it’s pretty important to find out whether it’s true or not.
We have to fortify our own souls because there will be more announcements and more social media frenzies. Perhaps people on whom you were spiritually dependent will walk away from the Church. Maybe that awesome person whose blog you’ve been following for years and who used to be really uplifting to you, will write an incredibly persuasive article on why they’re just finished with the whole thing.
Is that article or the points they made or the charisma they have, so good that it’s worth wagering your eternity on? How about the eternity of your children and their children?
We must either “remain in darkness and confusion, or else…ask of God.” We have to find out for ourselves from the source of truth what to believe, and not get lost in the newsfeed, because if the Church is true, sticking around as long as it’s comfortable won’t be enough.

Here is another blog I like, respect, and recommend!


New post on all our lemmony things

This much I know: My take on the LGBT Mormon controversy

by Kayla Lemmon
I read it right before I went to sleep last night--which wasn't a good thing.
That meant I couldn't sleep for at least an hour because I wasn't in a very good mood. My first response?
How dare they.
And then the morning came--and I had a memory that struck me out of nowhere.
I started learning about the church when I was 18 and I still lived at home. I was still several months away from college, my parents were active in the Pentecostal church, and I was raised so anti-Mormon that we hid in closets when those black-tagged visitors would knock on our door. Needless to say, it was scary when the day came to tell my father that I wanted to be Mormon.
family
Although my mom was more accepting of the idea, my dad was a tough nut to crack. He wasn't happy with me going to church or reading the Book of Mormon and we fought like cats and dogs. The missionaries refused to come over to teach lessons when they weren't welcome--they even sadly told me I couldn't be baptized quite yet--because they "aren't in the business of pitting me against my parents". Now, they didn't push me away, mind you. That's important to note. Every time I showed up at church they made sure to do whatever it took to answer my questions and give me whatever literature I requested. Each sunday they'd even meekly ask, "Is your father ok with us coming over this week, perhaps?"
Although I itched to be baptized--it was respect. I see it now that within a church that strives to make families eternal, the last thing they'd want to do is baptize a young girl still living at home with parents who could potentially kick her out, disown her, or be driven even further from the gospel. My parents weren't like that of course, but it was the missionaries' jobs to do things the right way. Some time later on, after my parents agreed to have them over for dinner, and after we were all eventually baptized and even went through the temple together, one of my missionaries said to me, "I always had the faith that YOUR faith would make it all alright."
baptism day
And I repeat that memory in my head now with the controversy being stirred up by those within, and outside of, our great church of Christ. Just like me, the church is striving to protect these beautiful children who live within a home that is contrary to God's will. Does that make the LGBT bad people? Of course not! There are Gay and Lesbian parents who are loving and wonderful and raise such good kids. Our church has gone the extra mile to make sure that they know that. They are loved and valued beyond comprehension! But the fact remains that the child's home and church would be very different from one another. The things the children would be learning--the covenants the child would be taking on--would mean that their very living condition is out of alignment with the gospel. We can all agree on that. The church doesn't believe in gay marriage, but a same-sex couple who has a child does believe in it, so that principle along with at least a few more regarding families, would be out of alignment. That's a source of contention and confusion for not just the kid, but the parents.
Sooner or later the teachings might pit the child against his or her own parents. There might be fights. A lack of trust. Or maybe the child, defensive of his or her parents, would grow bitter against the church and leave or retaliate, which would be much worse than never having been baptized in the first place. There are a barrage of things that could lead to a slippery, dark slope.
We aren't in the business of baptizing members just to leave them gasping and flailing for air. Baptism is sacred--very, very serious. Those who are baptized and eventually go through the temple make promises and covenants that last for eternity. Now, seven years later, and looking back upon my journey to where I am, I understand why my missionaries did it the way they did. Because of how they did it, my family was united. There was love. My dad died a priesthood holder with a temple recommend at his bedside. My decision to go to BYU-Idaho was a happy one. There was peace and understanding with my decision.
hodling christ
If someone, younger than 18 and still living at home, takes that all on without support--there will be horrible repercussions. And that doesn't just go for the LGBT community. There are a hundred other circumstances. My husband, who served in Africa, said that same policy was practiced among the children there who had Muslim parents. Because of the threat to the children's safety (because of religious law) and the lack of support, it was simply off limits to baptize a child without parental consent.
I'm not a spokesperson for the church. In fact, I keep deleting and re-writing lines of this blog because I don't have an agenda and I don't want to sound like I do. I don't know everything. Sometimes things hurt me, like they do you, and sometimes my perspective is so narrow that I have to get on my knees to ask for His perspective instead.
"Suffer the little children to come unto me," I kept saying in my head last night. And I realize now that the church, which is founded upon Christ, never said they should not. We believe that Christ loves all children, from conception to last breath. And we believe that regardless of skin color, nationality, sexual orientation, intelligence, or religion he loves so unconditionally and wholly that there will be a day when everyone will have a chance to say "Yes" to him and commit to him, whether it's in this life or the next.
This policy is not to keep the children away. It is to make sure they have a sure chance of not only coming, but staying.
christ with kids
I don't know everything, and sometimes I wish I did. Because it takes a while for me to swallow doctrine at times. I'm the type of person who gets angry first about things and then thinks later. I know it should be reversed, but I'm only human. As a convert to the church, sometimes I sway to the liberal side of things, and the only way to rein me in is to show me why certain policies are there for the exact reason I'm passionate about. To protect. To defend. To lead in righteousness. When I open my eyes and broaden my look at things I more easily see that the very things that seem harsh or hard to take are the very things that protect the family, protect eternal principles, and protect the Lord's flock.
So many covenants we make as LDS members, we realize the grave nature of them. We've all heard the expression, "To reject the Lord after knowing the full truth, it would be better if you weren't even born."
So why would we play with the fire?
Christ leads and guides this church and inspiration and revelation in our day is to make sure our standards stay high, even when the world's becomes low.
I'm humbled that during the times when I'm doubtful or unsure, He fills in the blanks. He reminds me to pray. To trust and have faith that His love and His perspective is so much greater than my own.
I at least know that much.
And for now, that is enough.
us at temple
Kayla Lemmon | November 6, 2015 at 4:27 pm | Categories: Faith| URL: http://wp.me/p3OUup-15e

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!