603. Wayne's letter to a missionary grandson. His unconquerable spirit shows through!

I have been writing about Wayne, and trying to document the challenges he went through his last almost 2 years.  It is taking longer than I expected.  But some beautiful thoughts about him have come to my attention.  This below is from a grandson, Ben. 



 Wayne and I wrote regularly to him on his mission in Taiwan, and he returned last July.  I don't know the date this letter was written, but it had meant so much to Ben, that he kept it, and posted this on facebook a few days ago.

I have been kind of avoiding this, but my Grandpa passed away last Sunday. There is a letter that he sent my while I was on my mission that I feel like I need to share.
 

“It’s always good to be on the winning side of things. When I was coaching little league baseball teams, I always told the boys that losing wasn’t fun. I told them if they weren’t there to learn something and have fun at the same time, to go home. Otherwise if they listened to what I was about to teach them they would win and have fun. When I was in my teens an old fellow came around and coached the team Blaine and I were on. He told us the same thing I told my boys, and I ended up the winner with a knowledge of baseball skills that remain with me to this day. I have been grateful to him and his great interest in our welfare ever since.
 

This all has a parallel to what you are presently doing in missionary work. You are having the time of your life right now because of what you are imparting to others. They will be the winners and have eternal joy because of it. We are not upon this earth to be losers. We are here to be winners of eternal life in the presence of deity. As far as we’re concerned, there are not three degrees of glory, but only one- the Celestial Kingdom! We don’t need much at all to be in the other glories. Where much is given, much is required-we are told. Our coaches are our heavenly parents, earthly parents, and prophets of God. Is it any wonder that the church grows and grows throughout the world? We cannot be passive in the least, but positively connected to the truths we enjoy. Your callings as ambassadors to the Lord will give you testimonies with great carry over value throughout your lives. And guess what? You are a winner!”

This choice letter shows Wayne's cheerful, and indomitable spirit.  He always wanted to be a winner, and his idea of "winning" was to be up and doing, and making good things happen.
I'm sure he is doing the same thing up where he is now.  Wayne and his twin brother Blaine would make an amazing team, making great things happen!  

People ask me every day how I am.  I appreciate their concern, but as I've analyzed the fact that I've felt nothing but peace since he departed, I have realized that there were 3 or 4 times in the last year or so that we truly thought he wouldn't make it through that day -- in intensive care, etc.  I guess I was prepared for him to go.  One daughter, Delsy, asked him a week or so before he passed away -- something like this:  "Dad, what would you really like to be doing now?"  His answer was "I would like to be feeling good again, and get on with my life!" or something like that.  He wanted to lay his tired and weak body down, and get busy again!  And I'm sure he is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!