825. Wayne's last letter, written 2 days before his passing, to his grandson on a mission in Indonesia!

Delsy put this on her dad's grave today!  See "Jasper" below!

Tonight, the year date of Wayne's passing, I want to write the last letter he wrote to our grandson, Jake, who was on an LDS Mission to Indonesia when he passed away.
 On Friday, before he passed away early Sunday morning, he wrote this letter, in beautiful handwriting to Jake -- in his own way of fine printing -- 

Dear Elder Jake,                                    Feb. 19, 2016

Wow!  Time flies!  It's been a few weeks since I last wrote to you.  A lot has happened since then.  I spend three days in the hospital because of hemorraging in my intestines.  It was probably caused by a certain blood-thinning pill I was taking.  I was stabilized and went home.  Home is always the best place after being in a hospital.  I am very weak and have to take it easy right now.  One of my doctors told me I am fast going downhill as far as my health is concerned.  I can feel it.  Whether or not I am still around when you get home is a good question.  Nevertheless rest assured that I'll be a part of your missionary experiences either this side or the other side of the veil.  I don't want to alarm you, but only want you to know the facts.  No matter what happens, keep working hard and know that I love you and want the best for you in your life.  You are well on the way to realizing your life's goals.  Your mission will always be the solidifying element in your life.  It was in mine.  Just think what the Lord has allowed you to do and become in just a few short months out there, preaching the Gospel of repentance, baptism and the Holy Ghost!  Not very many young men and women are given such opportunities -- you can be assured of that.  Come back with great energy and pursue your goals you have set for yourself.  Find a great young lady as an eternal companion to help you through college.  Don't postpone marriage -- you'll be glad you didn't.


    Jake, rest assured that I love you and what you're doing with your life thus far.  Joseph Smith really did see and speak with Diety, as he claimed.  It ushered in the dispensation of the Fulness of Times.  The Book of Mormon is the book of books, a second witness of Jesus Christ among the Nephites and Lamanites.  All this is true and I'm glad that you know it!  Your loving grandfather forever --Grandpa Eckman


When Wayne was writing his part of our life story book, about 2005, he found the cap which he got from the ship he went on, to go to Sweden in 1950, for his mission.  He also loved the little lepracahn "Jasper" that he found in a yard sale.  Today Delsy found one we put on his headstone!


We still have Jasper, and will bring him out each March in memory of Wayne!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!