878. A beautiful letter my husband Wayne received from his friend who was in Korea in the war, in 1952.

Today, I am sending a letter back to a dear friend of Wayne's that he had written to Wayne while he was in the Korean war and Wayne was on his mission in Sweden.  This friend was my dear husband Wayne's best friend from high school to the end of his life, along with his twin brother Blaine.  When Wayne was able to go on a mission to Sweden from 1950 to 1953, Arlen, his friend, had to go into the army and he served in Korea.  At that time only 2 young men could go from each ward to serve a mission.  All the rest were drafted.  The photo below is of Blaine, left, Arlen, and Wayne.  
They played baseball and other sports together as young teenagers, and were friends forever.

Since I have moved up to West Bountiful to live with our son Wayne and his wife, Julie, I have been going through many papers, etc., that I brought with me, but hadn't really gone through.  One box included the letters which Wayne's parents had sent to him while he was on his mission in Sweden, and among them was a very choice letter his friend Arlen had sent to him from Korea.

I want to write up this letter, as it has such a beautiful spirit, and included was a poem he wrote to Wayne:

Hi Wayne!                May 12, 1952  (He was in Korea, in the war)
 
Here I am in Korea, writing an answer to your most welcome letter.  We are moving up on the line now after two weeks in reserves.  The next letter you receive from me will be written in Salt Lake City.  I feel reasonably sure I'll be leaving, either the 28th of this month or the 4th of June. 
Things have been quite rough, but back in reserve I did get a little basket, and baseball time in.  It seemed swell to pitch the ole' raw hide around.  It certainly brought back the old memories.
I'm getting along fine, I'm point scout, or was.  I'm nothing now, just waiting to go home, I don't pull patrols or ambushes anymore.  The warm weather has come and everything is hot and dusty.  Much better than those cold winter days.
 
I feel the benefit of your prayers for me, and I truly an convinced you are doing a great work of God.  I have not got much time over here to preach much of the Gospel.  I try and help, in comforting, some of the fellows in time of danger.  I'll tell you just one of my experiences. 
A couple of months ago, we were all digging positions on a hill.  Chink artillery started coming in.  I went in a hole with 3 other fellows.  They were afraid and one at the point of breaking.  I acted as calm as I could, trying to set an example.  I then pulled out my Bible, and began reading, acting as if nothing was going on.  I read Chapter 11 of John.  Later when everything was over, I asked myself, "Incredible, how I just opened with out noticing it, the Bible and read a chapter on "If you have fear of death" as the reference put it, and brought comfort to somebody's heart."  (John 11 is the chapter about Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead, and says:  "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life; he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:" -- and more -- ) 
Well dear friend, I'll have to close for now, But I'll never close my mind to thoughts of you.  God be with you always.  I'll put this poem in the letter that I wrote.  You might like it, although it's really very simple. 
Your friend forever, Arlen. 
'My Prayer" 
One eve, beneath the pale moon light,
I bowed my head to pray.
I thanked the Lord for all his love,
And watchfulness each day.
 
Within my prayer upon this eve,
I asked with all my heart
To keep our faith so strong and true,
As long as we're apart.
 
A portion of his holy spirit,
Filled my soul that night.
And opened up forever,
My eyes, to see his light.
 
I know that God is true and just,
And kind as he can be,
For us his little children,
He's watching constantly. 
 
Each day we live is a trying test,
Through work, and worry, and strife,
But "he that shall endure to the end,
Shall have Eternal Life."
 
Arlen Craghead  5/16/62. 

Isn't that a beautiful letter!  I am sending it to Arlen, but I wanted to be able to keep a copy in remembrance.  I hope it was interesting to you dear readers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!