1066. September 7th, 1891, was when Orson Pratt Miles, My Dear Father, was born!

My dear father, Orson Pratt Miles, was born 127 years ago, this last Friday, September 7, 1891.  I have written about him extensively in this blog, over the years, and there are references to blogs about his life, his time in World War I, and the damage it did to his health, both physical and mental.  I hope you enjoy reading about a truly great man I am so grateful to be his daughter!

I'm including here some things in blog # 85, written,several years ago about my father.  

My dad, Orson Pratt Miles, loved to "dress up", notice the tie, vest, and handkerchief in the pocket.  He almost ALWAYS, even in the house, wore a tie, every day, and most often also his hat.  If anyone in the family loved to "be in style" Mother would say that was the "Miles" in them!
-------------------------------
At about age 45, he had to have his tonsils out, when I (Pal) was about 2 or 3.  This had such a debilitating effect on his health, that it triggered a "nervous breakdown" when I was about 3, and he spent 5 or 6 weeks in Salt Lake in the Veteran's Hospital then.  He was in and out of that hospital several times, both before and after that time.  He received a total disability check monthly from the government from health problems he suffered after being a machine gun operator in World War I.  His sensitive nature couldn't handle the things he had to do.  He wouldn't talk about the horrors of war to us, but buried them in his subcouscious mind.  Also, because of the sad things he had seen in the War, he couldn't stand to see anyone or anything hurt, or suffere.  He didn't allow us girls to have or ride a bicycle, roller skates, or drive a car while living at home, because he was afraid we would be hurt.  One time I sneaked and rode a friend's bike, and tore the leg of my pants on the chain.  Dad noticed and asked me how I did it, and I had to confess I had disobeyed.  I don't remember what the discipline was then, but I know when I was small and disobeyed, Dad would tell me to go out and get a "willow" from a tamarack tree we had, and I think by the time I got it in the house he had softened.  Those willows could really tingle the legs and I suppose I had a few used on me!

 This is Ruth and Pratt standing on the steps in front of their home.  This is one of the only photos I've seen of my Dad in which he didn't have a tie on.

Dad didn't like to see any living creature die, and Mother has told me that one time he saw a miller (a type of large moth) which was flying over the fire in the small fireplace we had in our front room.  Dad didn't want it to fall in the fire and he tried to get it out, but it did fall into the fire.  This upset him so much that he threw up.
              
Dad never wanted us to make a show of ourselves.  In high school years they had a contest they called the "Dixie Sun Goddess", and girls would enter themselves, show off their talents, pose in swim suits, formals, etc.  Dad never did want us to enter ourselves in those.  He wanted us to not be vain, and sponsor ourselves in things in which we would try to show off.  He never wanted to draw attention to himself or his family.  He was a very humble man.

  
            
                  This is Ruth and Pratt standing in front of the fireplace in their front room.

This below was last in blog # 909.  I have repeated it a few times over the years with variations.
  
 There are many stories about his life that you can find in the "Labels" list under "Miles Orson Pratt", and "my father Pratt".  Below is a treasured letter with his testimony.


                                                                 Dad in World War I

                      Above is a treasured letter giving his testimony.

I'm going to rewrite it in case it is hard to read his handwriting:

Darling ones,  If you had the faintest idea what it would mean to enter the Celestial degree of glory, you would put forth every effort possible to gain it.  The Lord has said in the pearl of great price,  "This is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."  and the Gospel was given us for that very purpose.  It prepares us for the highest degree of Glory if we receive it with all our hearts and live it the best we can while here.  Try to keep peace in your homes.  Teach your children to be honest.  Place eternal things first.  We only go over this road once.  To be worldly or carnal minded means death, but to be spiritual minded brings eternal life, which is the greatest blessing God can give us.  Be sure to gain a knowledge and testimony of the Gospel while here in this life and the rest will take care of itself.  With much love for all of you and your children, Dad.



                                    
                                                               Dad about 60 years old.
Dad in his college yearbook about 1913

Dad also as a young man

My dear dad in a very natural pose.  He was truly an old-fashioned gentleman in every way.  He always wore a tie, and most often had his hat on. 

Below are my parent's testimonies, written in blog # 318.

(First of all my mother's) "I intended to spend the rest of my life in the Temple.  This I have done as much as I can.  My walking isn't too good and I sometimes have to be taken in a car.  I am now 85 years old.

I want you all to know, that I know the Gospel is true.  I know, that I know, that I know it is true, and I know that my Heavenly Father, knows that I know it is true.  That Joseph Smith Jr. is a true prophet of God to bring the dispensation, and that all the prophets since him were true prophets and leave you this testimony and do it with all the love of my heart for my children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren or anyone who happens to read this.   (This is the way she wrote it -- she underlined it herself.)


God bless you all.  I love you all individually and collectively.  Grandma Miles " (Ruth Allen Miles.)  A photo of my parents is below.


   This testimony was written by my father, Orson Pratt Miles:
"Now that Dad is older and almost seventy years old, (I believe this was hand written by him in about 1960--He always called himself "Dad" when he was talking about himself to us:) I look back on life and see that it consists of a bundle of experiences, which are both good and evil mixed up together.  And now I know for sure that only the good we do makes us happy and thankful, and the evil things give us sorrow and regrets.   Now I know for sure that the Lord places us here to be tried and tested to see who we will serve.  Happy is the man or woman who truly repents while in this life and lives the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and makes it the first thing in life.
 I am thankful for my testimony of the Gospel above all else, for I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior of all who come into this world and through His name only can we be saved in the Kingdom of God.  I know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God and that through him the Gospel has been restored to this earth in its fullness in these last days, and this is the greatest blessing one can have while here upon this earth.
             Orson Pratt Miles, St. George, Utah."

Also Blog # 153 tells of my father Orson Pratt Miles, and his time in World War I.  It left him permanently in a nervous state, due to his experiences there. 
--------------------------------
The next part of this blog was posted on Veteran's Day Nov. 11, in 2014.

283. Veteran's Day, and about my father Orson Pratt Miles in World War I, and my husband Wayne, during the Korean War.

Today I'm honoring my father, Orson Pratt Miles, who was in World War I, and also my husband, Wayne D Eckman, who was in the army during the Korean War.  But Wayne didn't go to Korea -- instead, he and his twin brother Blaine were sent to Europe.  I'm posting an entry about my father, and you can find more about him in posts #;s 153, 33, 34, 37, 227, 28, 7, 85 -- (and others.)  He is listed under "Miles Orson Pratt", in the "Labels" and also under "My father Pratt".  I probably should have them all together!

My father Pratt was a very sensitive soul, and he was on the front lines, either in France or Germany -- I'm not sure which.  But the "shell shock" left him with a full disability, and he had poor health the rest of his 84 years. 

Also my husband, Wayne, was never on front lines, but he and his twin brother served in Trieste, and Austria, and were blessed to never have to actually fight.  There are posts about him and Blaine on #233, 80, and 9.

There is more to these blogs.  but we have thought a lot about him today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!