1158. Three weeks late reporting on my 64th wedding anniversary.

I started this article, and it was supposed to be posted September 24th, 2019.  
I got a call about 1 p.m. in the afternoon with the sad news that my grandson's wife had passed away suddenly, in St. George.  So I got on a shuttle and hurried down there.  Helping him that week, coming back up to West Bountiful on the weekend, and then going back for the funeral on October 3rd, I got sidetracked on doing my blogs.  Then I went to my sister's and watched General Conference, on October 6th, 2019, which was my 85th birthday!  I came home, and was very worn out for a few days.  I really enjoyed Conference!

I've had time to recuperate, and rest, and now I need to get used to being 85!

So the post below was scheduled to be posted on September 24, and is over 3 weeks late!  I'll post more often now.  Love to all you dear readers! 
--------------------------------------------------------

Today is our 64th wedding anniversary!  I'm celebrating by remembering many wonderful times we had together, reading about our lives.

 When we were married in 1955, life was quite different.  Wayne had returned home from the army, after serving there after his mission to Sweden in 1950-1953.  He had the GI Bill which helped us get through college, and we were both ready to be married.  He had turned 25 years old in the last week, and I was still 20, but would turn 21 on October 6th soon


  
On our 60th wedding anniversary, Wayne was on dialysis, and had just finished 6 weeks of radiation for esophageal cancer.  It was hard for him to swallow food.

I wrote this on our 60th anniversary --

First of all, (in the present) this morning, after eating only blended food for 2 or 3 weeks, Wayne was able to eat a Swedish pancake, with apricot jam and whipped topping on it, without it being blended.  The recipe for it, our family favorite, is: 

 Swedish pancakes,
  4 eggs, 3/4 cup flour, 1 1/2 cups milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, 2                                         tablespoons oil, and 1 tsp. salt. 

 Batter is quite runny.  Cook on hot griddle, being sure to use cooking spray in the pan, turning over when top is no longer shiny.  Serve with jam, jelly, syrup, or strawberries, and whipped cream.  Delicious, and the favorite of all the family.  This recipe serves around 3 people.  You can double, triple, etc. the recipe.  Whenever we get together, the family loves to have these Swedish pancakes, and they are easy to make.

We met on a blind date in August of 1953.  Wayne had just returned from his 2 1/2 year mission to Sweden, and I had completed one year at Dixie College.   At the end of the evening Wayne told me that he would write to me, as he was drafted into the army, and would go in the army the next month, in September.  I told him "Pal Miles, St. George, Utah" would get to me. (It would in those days, and it did -- the next May!) 

  I waited to answer him until I had moved to Salt Lake for the summer.  During the following winter I went to BYU, and we wrote letters.  During that year I had a very strong impression he would be the one I would marry, when reading one of his very inspirational letters.  A few years ago we published all our letters in a book, for our posterity.

I was working in Salt Lake again the next summer, when he came home from the army.  We did get acquainted through letters well enough that when he got home we were engaged in 3 weeks, and married 2 months after that, in the St. George Temple.  He started college just 12 days before we were married, so our first 4 years of marriage were going to college! 

  Wayne sent this to me during that winter of 1994-1995, while in the army.


This is a picture of me about the time we met on our blind date, in 1953.


Another picture of Wayne in his full army uniform.

This is a picture I sent to Wayne when he was in the army.

This was taken on our honeymoon in Zion's Canyon.



            This was taken around 2 years ago.  We have changed in 60 years!

 WE LOVE ALL OF YOU, AND KNOW THAT YOU ARE THE REASON FOR US BEING HERE, AND GETTING MARRIED--EXACTLY WHEN WE DID!  YOU ARE THE JOYS OF OUR LIVES!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesting blog. Read the one about Hiram Dayton - an ancestor. Interesting but sad.

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!