1308. Fascinating past! Searching ancestors of some of my great grandchildren.

Last October, I went down to the Mesa, Arizona area, to see my newest great grandchild, and beautiful baby girl, 3 months old, and also her first cousin, a year old now.  I was fascinated with the ancestry these two sweet baby girls have, combined with mine.  Their grandfather on my grandson's line was Italian, and the grandmother's line came partly from Lithuania.  I wondered just who my posterity would have on a pedigree, shared with my and my husband's name.  My husband, Wayne D Eckman, an identical twin, had ancestry on his father's side from Sweden, and New England and in the 1600s from England.

I took some pedigree charts down with me, and my son-in-law's father, of Italian ancestry just 2 generations back -- filled them back as far as he could remember.  I did find sources which verified them after they had immigrated to the United States, but I couldn't trace the ancestry back into Italy.  I left a pedigree chart with the mother of my grandson's wife, wondering if she may remember any ancestors.

I began by entering names of the living ancestors of this great granddaughter, whose baby girl was 3 months old.  I'm not mentioning names, just in case they don't want living names in this public place.  But the experience I had tracing my daughter's son's wife's ancestry was fascinating! 

 I'll tell about it, but as some of the ancestors go back into the Middle Ages, I'm including some pictures of clothing at that time, from Wikipedia.  



The Medieval period in England is usually classified as the time between the fall of the Roman Empire to the beginning of the Renaissance, roughly the years AD 410–1485. For various peoples living in England, the Anglo-SaxonsAnglo-DanesNormans and Britons, clothing in the medieval era differed widely for men and women as well as for different classes in the social hierarchy. The general styles of Early medieval European dress were shared in England. In the later part of the period, men's clothing changed much more rapidly than women's styles. Clothes were very expensive and both the men and women of lower social classes continued to wear them until the garments were in such disrepair that they needed to be replaced entirely.

---------------------------------------------- Now about searching their ancestry:

Her mother who lives in that area and tends those great grandchildren -- the girl, and her older brother, now almost 3, sent me a handwritten record of her parents, names, dates, etc. that she could remember.  She also had names of her grandparents, location, and names of a couple of great grandfathers, and 2 great grandmothers.  Finding dates of her mother, including death date, and a few other death dates was really helpful.  So next I went to Family Search! I put in names of my children, grandchildren, etc. and proceeded to try and go forward in those names of ancestors of my grand daughter-in-law.

I found the actual grandfather and grandmother of my grand-daughter-in-laws mother -- had part of their Temple work done, in the last 2 years.  So I began printing out pedigree charts, of all their ancestors continuing on further pedigree charts.  I carefully numbered the pedigree charts, and finally when I came to most names back to the 1600s, I decided to just follow the 2 main surname lines -- Rogers and King.  

I finished with the Roger's line back to Aaron John Fitz Roger 1 who was born in 1235 in Rome, Rome, Italy!  It had mostly gone back in England, and then that man had his wife's line going back to 1145 in Rome, Italy.  The descendants of those people had mostly been in England. These ancestors didn't all have sources, which is really the proof, but they would be in some books of the nobility or landed gentry in those countries.  The Temple work can't be done for any born before 1500, without contacting the Family History Search center, with proof.  But it is really fascinating.  You can put in a name in Google of an ancestor way back and find some history, and some records that are historical. Often there are multiple entries with the same name, and slightly different dates of birth, which are probably all the same person.  

I continued with following the King Line.  The male surname line of King went back into Captain William King, born in Virginia in 1652, back 3 generations to John King born 30 June 1570 in Thame, Oxfordshire, England. Back 3 more generations we got to Sir Robert William King born in 1511, Great Baddow,Essex, England. In 3 more generations the name was spelled Kynge.  Following 3 more generations back we run into ancestors born in Scotland, and father in Wales.  Back 3 more generations we come to Sir Patrick De Dunbar 1, Earl of Dunbar. born 1152.  Going back 9 more generations, in Scotland, we come to Donachad MacEochocan, born 0830,and from there back, through kings of places that I haven't heard of  -- Ulsnech and Ireland, back to Cairbre Uttbada King of Ireland, born 0196 AD!  His son High King of Ireland Cairpre II Lifechair was born about 0225 in Dublin, Leinster, Ireland.  (according to old records or tradition.) 

When I go back into Family Search, some of the names have been either deleted or merged with other names.  But the fascinating thing to me is that -- we know we all have ancestors who go back to those time periods, and before, clear back to Noah, etc.  When I get on the "other side", I want to check names of each generation of ancestors, and hopefully, during the Millenium be able to bring those names back to the hundreds of Temples which are now being built, and will be built in the future.  I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS KIND OF HISTORY! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!