Skip to main content

2034. Who? When? Why? – Old Testament Take-Aways By Kathy K. Clayton · December 7, 2022, in Meridian Magazine

 

The approaching end of 2022 and our completion of “Come, Follow Me” for the Old Testament is a compelling time to review some of the mighty, pithy sermons of that timeless and enduring volume of scripture.

Following is a list of twenty sentences and phrases that encapsulate in just a few words, significant life lessons from Old Testament stories. The culture and context of those stories are ancient, but the application is modern and immutable. I have kept this list for decades and referred to it often. I no longer remember to whom it can be attributed, but I offer a lasting thanks to whoever had the insight to assemble these one-line sermons. I hope they speak to you and spark personal reflection as they have for me as you consider who said them, what the context was, and what the application might for you and for us all today.

  1. “How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?” (Genesis 39:9)
  2. “If the prophet had bid thee do some great thing, wouldst thou not have done it?” (2 Kings 5:13)
  3. “They that be with us are more than they that be with them.” (2 Kings 6:16)
  4. “But if not…” (Daniel 3:18)
  5. “Thou art the man.” (2 Samuel 12:7)
  6. “What meaneth then this bleating of the sheep in mine ears?” (1 Samuel 15:14)
  7. “I will not cease to call upon God, I have other things to inquire of Him.”(Moses 1:18)
  8. “Speak, for thy servant heareth.” (1 Samuel 3:10)
  9. “I am but a lad,…wherefore am I Thy servant?” ((Moses 6:31)
  10. “Prove me now herewith.” (Malachi 3:10)
  11. “Is any thing too hard for the Lord?” (Genesis 18:14)
  12. “And they seemed unto him but a few days.” (Genesis 29:20)
  13. “Now then, whatsoever God hath said unto thee, do.” (Genesis 31:16)
  14. “Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee.” (Exodus 18:18)
  15. “But as for me and my house…” (Joshua 24:15)
  16. “Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.” (Ruth 1:16)
  17. “How long wilt thou halt between two opinions? If the Lord be God, follow Him.” (1 Kings 18:21)
  18. “And after the fire a still small voice.” (1 Kings 19:12)
  19. “The Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away.” (Job 1:21)
  20. “Who hath believed our report?” (Isaiah 53:1)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011. “And He Went on His Way Rejoicing”: Mental Health and the Spirit of God By Roger Connors · June 3, 2022, from Meridian Magazine

211. The Palmyra Temple -- The rest of the story -- (History)

471. LDS Church's #IAmAPioneer Campaign Recognizes Past and Present Pioneers. You can contribute your story!